324 Rocket Problem Lifter

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 05:44 AM

324 Rocket Problem Lifter

Hey everyone,

It's been a few months since I posted in the Newbie forum, and I'm seeking advice before I proceed with trying to quiet a noisy lifter in my 1955 324. A little background, the original stock engine was rebuilt back to stock in the late 80's or ealry 90's, with good care taken of it since then. The car runs great, doesn't burn oil, and when I pull the valve covers, change the oil, etc everything appears very clean and in good working order. Basically, I believe this engine to be in strong, healthy shape. I've only had the car about a year and a half.

I drive it a lot, and when I first got it I sometimes would hear a very slight lifter tick at stop lights and low idle. It has gradually gotten worse and is pronounced at all RPM's now. When I pull the DS valve cover, I have identified the lifter in question. With the car idling, I can place my hand on the rocker arm, and the noise essentially goes away when I hold pressure on it. I have a new rocker arm, pushrod, and lifter from Fusick. However, reading up on these forums I want to get some advice before I do anything. With that said, should we try a new rocker arm and pushrod first maybe because of worn union between the two, and leave lifter alone? Pull intake and lifter and replace, clean etc? is it possible to replace the inner spring and guts of the new lifter and use the original lifter body to keep the lifter and cam happy?

I see how some of the rocker shaft bolts that I will need to remove are also head bolts. This makes me nervous. Are there any tips/advice on letting car warm up slightly, be cold, etc before pulling these bolts out to minimize risk of hurting the head gasket? I do have the 1955 Olds Shop Manual, so I have access to the torque specs, tightening procedures, etc.

I know there's some assumed risk anytime taking a 60+ year old motor apart, and any info/guidance is much appreciated. Thank you all!

-Mike
Old March 12th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Hi Mike. From your description and diagnostics, it looks like you have a worn push rod, rocker arm hole depth where the push rod fits into the rocker, or a combination of both. I am assuming that the 324 is putting enough oil in the rockers for lubrication, right? Pull the rocker arm assembly off when the engine cools off and pull the push rod out carefully by spinning it a few turns to make sure you don’t drag the lifter out of the block. If that happens then it’s intake and valley time. Replace the rocker and push rod. Put it back together and run it with the affected valve cover off to ensure good lubrication in that area. I had my first 55 Olds over 50 years ago and had at least six since then.I just sold my last one a year or so ago. You could always hear a mid 50’s Olds coming down the road just clacking along.
Regards,
Hal
Old March 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Robinson
Hi Mike. From your description and diagnostics, it looks like you have a worn push rod, rocker arm hole depth where the push rod fits into the rocker, or a combination of both. I am assuming that the 324 is putting enough oil in the rockers for lubrication, right? Pull the rocker arm assembly off when the engine cools off and pull the push rod out carefully by spinning it a few turns to make sure you don’t drag the lifter out of the block. If that happens then it’s intake and valley time. Replace the rocker and push rod. Put it back together and run it with the affected valve cover off to ensure good lubrication in that area. I had my first 55 Olds over 50 years ago and had at least six since then.I just sold my last one a year or so ago. You could always hear a mid 50’s Olds coming down the road just clacking along.
Regards,
Hal
Thanks Hal. I am hoping it is just the pushrod/rocker arm.

I bought my NOS dash clock from you and put it in last year; ticks away like a champ.

-Mike
Old March 12th, 2018, 02:37 PM

I remember that Mike. Good luck with the lifter. I think you will find that the rocker arm push rod hole has gotten worn deeper.
Old March 13th, 2018, 11:14 AM

If you would like, I have a set of 16 -- OEM GM in the GM Boxes!!!!!!! set
of Valve Lifters for the 1949 - 1956 OLDS application.....
Am NOT going to break the set -- but probably have more than 16, would have to take a peek.....

You are welcome to call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... Long Island, new York.....
Old April 2nd, 2018, 06:59 PM

Regards,
Hal
Hal I wanted to touch base with you and let you know you nailed it. The rocker arm was severely egged out and the rocker next to it wasn’t much better. Two new rockers and pushrods and a cured tick.

The rockers looked possibly original with GM casting numbers on them. That’s a lot of rockin’ over the years!

Thanks for the advice!

-Mike

Old April 15th, 2018, 03:42 PM

Rocker arms

Mike, if u ever want to replace the entire assemblies with new ones, I will make u a deal on the complete new set I have. I have no use for them anymore. I no longer have any 55 Oldsmobiles.
Regards,
Hal 928-486-2363
Old April 23rd, 2018, 12:06 PM

Mike, if u ever want to replace the entire assemblies with new ones, I will make u a deal on the complete new set I have. I have no use for them anymore. I no longer have any 55 Oldsmobiles.
Regards,
Hal 928-486-2363
Hal: Two questions...1) What is included in the complete new set? and 2) Will it fit a 1956? Thanks