69 Cutlass S Convertible- 350 - 2bbl Carb replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:56 AM

69 Cutlass S Convertible- 350 - 2bbl Carb replacement

Hi all,
I've been reading through all the carburetor threads here and I'm trying to find out the best alternative to the Rochester 2bbl carb currently in my car. My car is a survivor and a driver that I use frequently, and I just keep coming into different issues with the carburetor. I've had it rebuilt a few times already. Eventually, I'd like to go with a new manifold and 4 bbl carb, but for now, I'd just like to replace it with a NEW Holley (or any brand suggested...) 2bbl that is just reliable. I'm not looking for high performance, and I'd sacrifice on the gas mileage for reliability right now. I'm typing this after just being stuck in a major intersection with gas pouring out of my carb... that was not fun.

Searching around I saw the Holley 500CFM or 350CFM Street Avenger with manual or electronic choke.

Are either of these doable on the stock 2bbl manifold?
I'm assuming I'll also have to figure out the trans linkage...
But based on what I've read on these so far, it looks like there would only need to be some small mods needed

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I'm assuming your interested in a 4 barrel. While there are adapters available not a good mix. I recommend a getting a manifold also.

Another thought would be a fresh rebuild on yours or a rebuilt 2 barrel carb.

You need to readjust the trans linkage as its on the accelerator pedal and you will have to play with the throttle linkage so your aftermarket carb opens all the way and some fuel line changes.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:53 PM

Rock Auto sells a fully remanufactured Rochester 2 barrel for $149, not too bad. That would be your easiest option, just swap and drive.

There are a lot of advantages to going with a 4 barrel carb though. Properly tuned it will give better fuel economy (smaller primaries) if you can keep your foot under control. I can't! It will give a bit better performance and a lot more fun, but it does require a manifold swap.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:00 PM

I was actually looking at the 2 bbl Holley carbs... I don't want to get into doing a 4bbl and manifold at this point. I was just looking to change carb only and maybe minor adjustments if possible.

I guess i'm trying to figure out if its better to find a re-manufactured Rochester 2bbl replacement or a brand new 2 bbl "other" carb(Holley, Edelbrock,etc...)

My main objective is that I want it to be reliable, as I do drive the car a lot.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 06:05 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

This one
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-210222
Or this one as well.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/jet-37001
The Rock Auto one is cheaper and has all the choke parts.
Is the 2bbl Holley the same pattern?

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; April 23rd, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM

Just got off the phone with Holley... They have an adapter (.5 inch) and the throttle linkage should be very close. The electric choke just needs to be hooked up to accessory power. A little expensive, but brand new...

I looked at the Rochester 2Jet from RockAuto, and it is the exact match with the choke parts, but I did a little more research, and I could only find negative reviews of Autoline, who does the re-manufacturing for RockAuto and AdvancedAuto.

While I'd love to stick with what was on there, I can't help wanting to replace with a brand new part...

Has anyone used the Holley 500CFM Street Avenger (2bbl) that has an opinion on it, and how much modification is required to set it up?

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Administrator

If your going to go with a 4v and manifold in the future, why not just move the time table up. Even an amateur can make the change over the weekend. Why spend the extra money on an expensive short term solution?