who makes a good rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:43 AM

please delete post

Last edited by 67BB; April 16th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:39 AM

EGGE makes a full kit for that engine.
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Summit still offers the speed pro rebuild kit. For around under 700
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

The Summit price is about $10 less than the RockAuto price for the same re-ring kit, but compare total price with shipping.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 67BB
Ok, but I'm not looking for a re-ring kit.
I guess I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, then. A re-ring kit plus cast pistons (if needed) gives you the "basically stock" rebuild that you asked about. If you reuse your current pistons, then all you need is the re-ring kit.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:10 PM

What do you call a MASTER re-ring kit? Have you looked at Northern auto? @450 $
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ok. Nevermind then. Thanks. I'm prettys sure I said rebuild not re-ring but ok. Sometimes something obvious to me isn't to others and I should have said MASTER rebuild kit. I'll assume now there must be a MASTER re-ring kit.
Since the mind reading still isn't working, maybe you should tell us exactly what parts you think you need in a "rebuild kit". To rebuild an engine with "basically stock" parts (your words from post #1), you need main, rod, and cam bearings, rings, freeze plugs, and gaskets. You may or may not need an oil pump and timing set. You may or may not need pistons.

Unless you have a complete automotive machine shop at your disposal, you will likely drop the heads off to be rebuilt. That shop will install new valve seals and any other new parts the heads need. The Summit re-ring kit includes everything above (including the valve seals, actually) except the freeze plugs, oil pump, cam bearings, and timing set. Unless you have a cam bearing installation tool, you're going to have the machine shop install the cam bearings after hot tanking the block, so you don't need those anyway. Brass freeze plug sets for an Olds motor run around $18. The timing set is your call whether you need one or not and whether you want stock or roller. There are many to choose from. Same with the oil pump - keep the original or get stock or HV. No Olds gasket set ever comes with the intake gasket, so you'll be buying that separately anyway.

We've already spent more time talking about this than it would have taken RockAuto to ship these parts to your door.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mr. Johnson

Wow now your telling people how to help you! What else would you like to know? I don't see you building this motor so why ask at all.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

67bb . No re build kit will truly ever be complete. No re ring kit will include an oil pump , cam bearings. Timing chain. You do have to do some piecing together. If you are doing a rebuild with new pistons and speed pro does not offer their rebuild kit anymore. You will need new pistons , a re ring kit, cam bearings, oil pump, timing chain, a cam, oil pump pick up , also depending on your pistons if new using a re ring kit sometimes is not good as for the most part they come with cast rings. So usually a rebuild taylored to a build requires buying parts individually.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=700
Includes oil pump, cam, lifters, timing set.
Oversizes can be had, and certain modifications can be done to kit, ie., changing part manufactures, different cam, roller chain, etc.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson442
Wow now your telling people how to help you! What else would you like to know? I don't see you building this motor so why ask at all.
After listening to you I'm really not sure either why I asked at all. Thanks for reading my mind so well. I'm sure I'll never do it either and the wife will just have to sit on the side of the road until you come to her rescue.

Everyone that has offered an answer thank you, I appreciate it. Granted I haven't rebuilt any engines in over 20 years I have done 30 or 35 in my time. I used to get things BI (before the interenet) from PAW mostly and they did have complete kits. You get the machine work done, the crank turned and put everything else in NEW. I call that complete even though they didn't include a crank. So I guess we're all wrong. I've restored several dozen corvettes in my younger days but never messed with Oldsmobiles until my wife went out and bought 3 in the last 2 months. I was just trying to learn. It would have been easy enough to say nobody offers one. See? Easy. I imagine I can piece it together at autozone but I like buying kits becasue it's quite a bit cheaper.

Had someone mentioned Rock Auto to begin with I would have checked there immediately. I'll take a look at nothern auto as well. Thanks again.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

...I used to get things BI (before the interenet) from PAW mostly and they did have complete kits. You get the machine work done, the crank turned and put everything else in NEW. I call that complete even though they didn't include a crank. So I guess we're all wrong.
You are correct, the PAW engine kits were great. I got a complete 455 from them decades ago (machined block, crank, and assembled heads along with all the parts). It was a great deal and that engine ran 11.95 in a 1971 Cutlass.

Unfortunately, that option is long gone. I drove past the PAW building in Chatsworth a few years ago and it looked empty. If you go to their website (http://www.pawinc.com/), you get this:

EFFECTIVE 9/30/2010

P.A.W.IS ONLY SELLING THROUGH ITS EBAY STORES AT

"HOT ROD ENGINEPARTS "

and

"EARLY HEMI ENGINEPARTS"
They only sell a very limited number of parts anymore, and focus mainly on early hemi motors.