What’s a “throttle retarder”?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:31 PM

What’s a “throttle retarder”?

I’m a bit confused, found this piece on my carb (Rochester 4-jet). It’s a “throttle retarder”, does anyone know what it is for? Doesn’t seem to be connected at the moment?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 07:54 AM

I think it is a emissions thing. Keeps your throttle from slamming shut on let off. What year is this car? Earlier years didn't have this. Others more knowledgeable in these later cars than I should explain it better.... Tedd
Old September 3rd, 2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I think it is a emissions thing. Keeps your throttle from slamming shut on let off. What year is this car? Earlier years didn't have this. Others more knowledgeable in these later cars than I should explain it better.... Tedd
It’s a Cutlass F-85 1963 with aluminum 215 V8 engine
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:54 AM
Running On Empty

What is the Model Number of this Rochester Quadrajet?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

His car has a 215 with a factory 4GC carb. I originally thought this was not a factory part, but the big Rochester Carb "bible" proved me wrong. From that document. Note Item 95.

Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:56 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
His car has a 215 with a factory 4GC carb. I originally thought this was not a factory part, but the big Rochester Carb "bible" proved me wrong. From that document. Note Item 95.
Very interesting. I've never seen one before this.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Very interesting. I've never seen one before this.
It's a new one on me, too. 1963 is the only CSM that I DON'T have...
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:41 PM

What is the Model Number of this Rochester Quadrajet?
The number on the tag is 7023054

Last edited by Oldsmoswede; September 3rd, 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Oldsmoswede
The number on tha tag is 7023054
Thanks. That matches up w/ the (first column) information 4GC carburetor (1963) which Joe posted (above).
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:03 PM
Running On Empty

I am assuming the throttle retard unit was an 'optional' feature? I really do not know. Was it installed on all 7023054 carburetors? I do not know. It may have been an optional feature included with a possible towing package? They command a healthy price. I found one nicely rebuilt w/o the throttle retard unit.

https://www.carburetorcenter.com/pro...remanufactured
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Thanks for the information. I can see there are different manufacturers making those rebuild kits, are there any differences between them (besides the price)?
Any brand you would recommend?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

I don't know, Joe might (or others). Maybe Joe has the same carburetor or similar on one of his '62s.
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:43 PM

I am assuming the throttle retard unit was an 'optional' feature? I really do not know. Was it installed on all 7023054 carburetors? I do not know. It may have been an optional feature included with a possible towing package? They command a healthy price. I found one nicely rebuilt w/o the throttle retard unit.

https://www.carburetorcenter.com/pro...remanufactured
Thanks a lot👍 That rebuilt carb looks really nice. It seems to be a serious company. Do you have any experience of it?
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

I have no experience w/ www.carburetorcenter.com. I've purchased several rebuilt kits from Cliff. He sells good rebuild kits, at least the kits I've purchased have been more than satisfactory. I'm sure other places sell good ones, too - but my experience using different vendors for rebuild kits is limited. If I find something I like - I stick w/ it rather than shop around. You can certainly call Cliff and talk w/ him. He's super personable and will talk your ear off. He's basically a good all around person.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:53 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, I suspect you can probably remove that throttle retard unit from your carburetor (especially if it isn't hooked up to anything). Then, you could probably just do a rebuild on it if the carburetor just needs freshening up.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 02:45 PM

I don't know, Joe might (or others). Maybe Joe has the same carburetor or similar on one of his '62s.
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the NV desert car)
62 F-85 Deluxe wagon (the San Jose car)

Norm, I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I believe Joe gave up on a rebuild carb on one of those wagons and bought a new one [If I'm wrong, I'm sure he will remind me]
Not what I had for breakfast but his "new carb"
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I believe Joe gave up on a rebuild carb on one of those wagons and bought a new one [If I'm wrong, I'm sure he will remind me]
It wouldn't surprise me to see him post what you had for breakfast - he has his ways of finding these things out, James!
Old September 3rd, 2019, 05:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You are correct. I struggled with the original 4GC for months, but finally threw in the towel and got a new 500 CFM E-brock. That's been on the car for over nine years now. I just rebuilt it for the first time earlier this year before Power Tour. The problem with my 4GC was apparently a rust blockage in one of the internal passages that feeds the accelerator pump. Unfortunately these are drilled in the casting at the factory and then have spun-in plugs installed, so there's no easy way to clean them. In any case, that Throttle Retard Unit is 1963 only and not used on all cars. It may be related to A/C or who knows what. I've seen a lot of 63s that didn't have it. Sorry I can't provide more help here.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmoswede
I’m a bit confused, found this piece on my carb (Rochester 4-jet). It’s a “throttle retarder”, does anyone know what it is for? Doesn’t seem to be connected at the moment?
The throttle retard on your car is connected properly, Those ports are supposed to be open to the atmosphere ,There is a rubber diapram inside with a flapper valve and a bleed restriction. If you look close you'll see a linkage rod to the throttle arm.
the unit was designed to let the throttle close gently throughout the entire range of opening. It provides a smooth transmission down shift by preventing a sudden release of power from rapid throttle closing. According to the CSM it is shown on the 4 BBl. and the Jetfire carb. I don't see it in the 2BBl. section
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
The throttle retard on your car is connected properly, Those ports are supposed to be open to the atmosphere ,There is a rubber diapram inside with a flapper valve and a bleed restriction. If you look close you'll see a linkage rod to the throttle arm.
the unit was designed to let the throttle close gently throughout the entire range of opening. It provides a smooth transmission down shift by preventing a sudden release of power from rapid throttle closing. According to the CSM it is shown on the 4 BBl. and the Jetfire carb. I don't see it in the 2BBl. section
Very nice, thanks for the info👍 I saw that it was connected with a linkage rod as you mentioned as well.