General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Changing carb on 66 with auto throttle linkage

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Changing carb on 66 with auto throttle linkage

Are there any tricks to changing a carb on a 66 f85 with a stock 2v and jetaway throttle linkage.
Will that linkage be able to be used with an after market 4v Edelbrock or possible 4v Rochester.
I would like to keep the the kickdown working on the Jetaway for now until the 4 speed and hope that I can use that round throttle mech connecting to the Jetaway.
Thanks
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Yes, you can use the linkage!! There is a rubber bushing that the linkage goes thru to connect to your stock carb. Just tranfer that to the edelbrock and adjust the linkage so that the new carb opens all the way.

Good luck!
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Oldsdruid

There's more to it than that. These cars have Switch-Pitch torque converters and with a carb change the throttle linkage has to be adjusted to actuate it and the kickdown at the proper time. Otherwise the converter angle won't change, the car will be a dog and you risk grinding your switch-pitch up.

'Course if he's sticking a 4-speed in it he ain't worried about tearing up his Jetaway. Is this still on that low-miles original car?
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocketraider
There's more to it than that. These cars have Switch-Pitch torque converters and with a carb change the throttle linkage has to be adjusted to actuate it and the kickdown at the proper time. Otherwise the converter angle won't change, the car will be a dog and you risk grinding your switch-pitch up.

'Course if he's sticking a 4-speed in it he ain't worried about tearing up his Jetaway. Is this still on that low-miles original car?
I also have a SP trans, I gave him the instruction to what I did for mine! It worked fine!!! Thats not to say he may have to fine tune his, but I had no issues!
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Land Yacht Captain

The switch pitch switch SHOULD be adjusted any time the throttle linkage is changed or adjusted. Its a very simple process.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

rocketraider, the temptation to put the 4 speed in is so overpowering that I have officially declared it a losing battle. I have a date coded 66 m-21 that I bought from one of our members here and also a date coded early 400 but that another story. Plus my switch pitch is not working we just droped the pan to fix the detent wire but were not able to get to the switch pitch solenoid as it kept blowing fuses. Right now only the kickdown is working. Still pretty quick. I will hopefully do the 4 speed conversion soon but if not it will be done over the winter. Thanks for your help. I think the summit carb will be a great option as the price is perfect and I really dont want to rebuild the Rochester 4, just yet. Saving that for a 66 442 as its stamped for a 4 speed.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM

While not exactly what you're doing, went from a 2V to a Q-jet on a 68' Pontiac. The throttle cable end has a **** on it that is meant to fit in the linkage bracket hold down end slot. The Q-Jet wouldn't allow this, so just tightened the bracket hold down clamp. Problem is, the cable started slipping. I had a welding torch, so welded in a piece of metal to extend it. Worked fine after that, but not many have welding equipment.