WHat is this mess? Engine id

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2014, 04:15 PM

WHat is this mess? Engine id

This is in my 68 cutlass. I haven't seen anything like it to explain it. . Replacement block? Warranty? Aftermarket rebuild? Was gold. Intake has been off before. Harmanic balancer gold. Still has splash shield on lower pully. Had never been disturbed. Car has supposedly has only the 88k on it and looks like it.

Old November 19th, 2014, 03:13 AM

Looks like just a rough casting. Not pretty, but serviceable.
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:33 AM

142 people have looked and nobody knows what the markings mean on the engine where the engine id number is? I guess this means I have the missing hurst olds convert???? hahahahaha Make the check out for cash. $80K please.
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:22 AM

I cant view the image.
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:33 AM

I agree with your hypothesis that it is a service replacement block

I have seen this only 1-2 other times. It's pretty rare. Typically has the "L" as seen, and two rows of info.

Sorry, that's all I can do.
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:59 AM

I agree with the service replacement block. It was probably not done at the dealership. GM service would have stamped the pad with the original serials, or in my case left it blank because they were to lazy to do so.

Also the fact the pad is not machined points to a service replacement block.
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM

Not a big deal... Always liked the thought of 88k original but as I have said on other posts. A lot can happen in 46 yrs. Just because it looks factory now doesn't mean it left that way. Thankfully who ever did it did a good job and didn't rig or re-engineer it. It looks like 2 rows of numbers to me so maybe it was poorly stamped when replaced. Basically I got curious after seeing another post and my numbers didn't look right. Thanks for the help.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:49 PM
same but different

I'll pipe in and agree it looks like a replacement stamping, though I've never seen one in person.

Now, what I still don't understand is the logic, or reference when making these stamps, back then. Like one of your questions, "what does this mean"? I don't know.

Its obvious to say, they knew to stamp it. Then it was up to this person to decide/decode the instructions, and apply them.

With your reference of 88K miles, we might assume this engine has less than that.

If and when you get deeper in this engine, let us know what you find. I'm curious.
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:05 PM

DOn71 Engine runs great. No smoke. Had a very slight tapping on drivers side. I pulled the valve covers when I detailed the engine and it was spotless underneath. Gaskets had been changed before. Along with a terrible paint job on them but only within the last 10 yrs or so. Intake had been off within the same 10 yrs. I replaced the bridges on the d/s and found minimal wear. Quiet as can be now and it wasn't very loud before. Lower pulley had not been off as far as I could tell in a long time if ever. I pulled them to paint. Has had a water pump in the last 10 yrs too. It was my understanding that the woman that owned it her grandfather (who bought her the car at 11) used to do all the maint. Until he passed and then some very shoddy tuning work was done by a local quick lube. Actually it runs so good I have lost all desire to "upgrade" Yea a 4 barrel would be nice. And I could add a psuedo ramrod air cleaner and scoops and a 5 speed . But with 17.8 mpg no oil use and plenty of power for what I do with it, it is perfect. I have thought about camming and 4 barrel to gain the 60+ hp it just seems like throwing away money on such an awesome driving car.

Here's the story I got when I bought. She was second owner. Car was painted 28 yrs or so ago. Changed from willow gold with black top to orange with white top. Carpet was put in at this time too. Grandfather bouth for his 11 yr old granddaughter. He "kept" it until she turned 16. At some point she had a head injury that caused her to loose her depth perception and peripheral vison. She stopped driving the car and it was used occasionally. Mostly garaged. It went down hill a little after grandpa died. Her new husband is not a car guy and he wanted it out of the way. They were building a new house and needed some extra funds. She asked her dad what to do. He said if you aren"t saving it for your daughter sell it so someone else would take care of it. They put it on craigslist for a stupid amount of money and got beat down I think. They took it off and then relisted a couple of months later for less but still stupid money. I didn't get a great deal but I didn't lose any money either. They came down a bunch after presenting the facts. and here we are. Funny part is they went so far as to jam this thing and paint the underside of the trunk but didn't pull the front marker lights or a couple of chrome trim pieces to paint. Still looks good for 28+ yrs.

Last edited by 68_convert; November 19th, 2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
same but different

Considering your comments, I'd say, enjoy your ride. Sounds like it is running pretty good.

Now, on to all those other things that seem occupy our time, like making it look good too .
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Agree don. A few other things. Orginal radio was in the trunk. As was the preheat tube. Has factory spare and jack although missing jack handle. At one point it had different wheels. I found a picture from 2007 at a fathersday car show from a magnet in the trunk. It may not be the same car but 2 orange 68 convertible cutlass s's at the same show would be weird but could happen. So the 14x7 ss1's are not stock. of course just being 14x7's makes this true. But thankfully will fit disc brakes if I ever get the notion. Next project will probably be a new top. I swore after my lemans I would never put another top on but then again I never thought I would sell it either.