Water pump Question

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Water pump Question

Replacing my water pump, which has impeller blades open. Replacement pump has impeller blades shrouded. Pumps are same length /size.

Is shrouded or unshrouded impeller blades better as far as flow? Or does it really matter?

Warmed over 350, A/C, Auto, 3.42 Posi, 4 core rad, AT cooler, and I live in south Texas. I need all the cooling help I can get.

TIA.

C.J.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM

I have found that the stamped tin impellers come apart or break off. The cast impellers seam to be the best. I have seen a few stamp tin ones with a reinforcement plate on them.
Maybe post some pic's of each.

Gene
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

The "open face" impellers are cast. Not sure about the shrouded ones, though they feel cast to the shroud. Sorry, no pics available right now.

Anyone know which flows better?

TIA

C.J.

Last edited by texasred; April 23rd, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM

You want the cast impeller with the "closed" face....this is what a factory pump would have had. Pushes more water than the "open" stamped steel impellers.

Get a good thermostat also......RobertShaw high flow balanced stat.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:22 PM

I thought the closed ones were for non a/c cars and the open ones were for a/c cars because the open ones were better for cooling
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Who sell Water pumps with "Cast impellers" for Oldsmobile?
How do you tell the difference from reading the "resellers" specifications?
Most of the manufactures web sites I have looked at do not clearly identify the impellers style.
Does anyone have pictures of Cast and stamped?

Target Car, is a 71 Supreme, Stock 350 4bl, With AC (3 pulley, long shaft).
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM

So looking at the "closed" one, it looks like a round disc - cannot see any blades.

So I assume these below are the open one... One is a cheapo 1 year reman and behind it is a lifetime new Master brand pump. Note the impeller fin size difference...

I would like the low-down on which is better, too. Lady runs a little hot on long hot day trips, but under 210.
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Yup, those are open.
Pumps with a plate on the back of the blades have less turbulence, and hence flow better. The cast impeller has pretty small blades on it though. Some of the Cardone rebuilds look to have the stock cast impeller. Parts stores pumps will just be a grab bag of what Rob posted.

On the aluminum front, GMB makes a pump that has a plate welded onto the back of the blades. Milodon puts it in a box with their name and bumps up the price by ~$30 (found that the hard way). FlowKooler buys a GMB pump, grinds of the GMB marks, yanks off the thick plate, puts on a thin one and some more fins on the back, which requires at least two gaskets to clear the timing cover and some folks suspect it falls apart. And they bump up the price another ~$10 or so above the Milodon part.

The GMPP pump was supposedly the cats meow, but out of production and hard to find. They can be rebuilt somewhat easily, though. Usable copies have traded recently for $200.

(Guess what I just got done researching?)

Last edited by oddball; January 25th, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: It's Milodon, not Moroso
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Found some images of a "closed-impeller".

Found some images of a "closed-impeller".

These are from a web site http://www.projectbronco.com/Technic.../waterpump.htm
I checked the Edlebrock web site; I do not see any pumps compatible with Oldsmobile.
"Optimum cooling for AMC/Jeep, Chevy, Chrysler, Ford and Pontiac."

It seems that a Closed-Impeller/Cast style may have more water volume capacity.
The question still is, does anyone sell these for a cutlass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
water_pump002.JPG (37.9 KB, 149 views)
water_pump003.JPG (43.6 KB, 136 views)
water_pump004.JPG (57.7 KB, 113 views)
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:12 AM

See the post I put up last night?

If you're looking for cast iron w/ cast impeller, then you have to get a Cardone rebuild and try to dig through multiple part #'s to find one you want. Just search ebay for "70 oldsmobile water pump" and see what I mean.
It's probably better - and not much more expensive - to jump to the GMB pump. You can even paint it.
I'd bet a six pack that the Edelbrock pumps are rebadged GMBs also. But they'd come in a pretty box.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=oddball;363061]See the post I put up last night?
It's probably better - and not much more expensive - to jump to the GMB pump. You can even paint it.

Hi Oddball,
I did look at GMB, however their catalog for 2010 does not list the 1970 & 1971 Cutlass Supreme engine 350 as a supported product.

Later I guessed it must be just a mistake in the catalog.
The model 130-1260 will fit most 350/455, With Air, and 5.95in hub height.
This style comes in 2 versions.
130-1260 Cast Iron, with Stamped impeller
130-1260P, aluminum, Not sure of impeller, still investigating.
thanks
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:58 AM

The cross references tend to suck. Almost all olds pumps can be broken down into:
long or short
one or two bypass tubes

Just figure out what you need then keep trying other years and engine/AC combos to get it.

The GMB 130-1260P is the Milodon pump. Here's a picture:
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks Oddball, that’s just what I needed. My current water pump still has a few more miles left, but not many. ill order one soon and paint it Gold.
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Hi oddball:
I ordered GMB 130-1260P from a local shop ($30.00). The pump did not have the Plate on the back of the blades. So I sent it back. Maybe Mildon is the one that puts the plates on the GMB 130-1260P pumps and then calls them 16285?
Next I contacted GMB and asked them. They said the 130-2773 with a hub height of 5.5 inches will fit my car with AC (NOT!)

Looks like ill try Mildon.

Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:03 AM
To: gmbcorp
Subject: closed impeller water pump?

I am looking to replace the water-pump on my 1971 Cutlass Supreme 350 CI
(with Air-conditioning, 5.95 inch hub height).

I have heard rumors that a Closed impeller water pumps are better for
cars with high heat loads such as Air-conditioning.

Your catalogs and documentation do not clearly identify which pumps, if
any have closed impellers.
I ordered a 130-1260P from a local shop and discovered that this pump
was an open impeller (so i sent it back).

Do you actually sell Closed impellers for the Cutlass?
If so, what is the part number.

Dear Miles, Thank you for your email. Please note, the application was checked and it was found the W/P to be used is a 130-2773. This P/N does NOT have a closed impeller. Unfortunately, we do not offer a closed impeller W/P for this application. also, please note, our most current catalog is found on our www.gmb.net website, in the Catalog section. It is the last catalog option and give you the drop-down box options. it is not a PDF catalog version of any of our printed versions. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Let me know if you have any further questions or issues. Best Regards,Adrienne J. TambergAssistant ManagerCustomer Service *************
Note: The GMB PDF catalogs for 2010 do not list the 1970 or 1971 350 Engine. This information is available with the "online" dropdown search window.
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM

No kidding? That's incredibly frustrating.

Here's the picture of the front:
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Water Pump, closes impeller

Water Pump:

I replaced my water pump a few weeks ago with a Milodon 16285 closed impeller pump on my 71 Cutlass Supreme with a stock 350, with Air-conditioning. There were no issues and the pump seems work good.

The Milodon 16285 water pump uses the "Exact same" housing as the GMB 130-1260P. The difference is in the Impeller. The GMB 130-1260P uses an Open impeller, similar to the picture from Lady72nRob71 on this thread. The open impeller is a disk of metal with 6 blades stamped out of the disk. The Milodon Company sells a version of the GMB pump with a closed impeller installed onto the GMB pump. I am not sure "who" actually attached the impeller. The Milodon impeller is a disk with 9 blades welded to the disk. Milodon advertises there pumps "increase coolant flow up to 30%."
My original pump from my Cutlass uses a cast version of the closed impeller with 6 cast blades. I decided to stick with a similar closed impeller style. I do not have a temperature gauge on my car, so I have no way to measure any performance differences. However my car does sound better now that I have removed the 41 year old pump and replaced it.
There is a big price difference between the two pumps. I purchased a GMB 130-1260P at AutoZone a few weeks ago for $30 and then set it back when it arrived as an Open impeller. The Milodon 16285 I purchased from JEGS for $100.

Image 7644 Milodon getting ready for paint, Numbers indicating the approximate location of the 9 blades.
Image 7648 close-up of blades 4 and 5 under the plate.
Image 7688 Original Cutlass 41 year old pump.
Image 7689 Close-up of one of the 6 blades.
Attached Images
DSC07644_1.jpg (44.4 KB, 129 views)
DSC07648_1.jpg (29.8 KB, 129 views)
DSC07688_1.jpg (55.8 KB, 130 views)
DSC07689_1.jpg (67.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Miles71; June 4th, 2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: font
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM

The cross references tend to suck. Almost all olds pumps can be broken down into:
long or short
one or two bypass tubes
==========================================
Not quite

Please see my other post on water pumps.

==> https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mp-issues.html

THREE different lengths, first off,
1 or 2 nipples is trivial
two different inlet nipple sizes, so your hose will fit right
various sizes and constructions of impeller

and that's just the common and crucial factors.

Then there's the reverse-rotation unit for V6 diesels...

And hard to find factory casting numbers.

Last edited by Octania; June 4th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:42 AM

I know this thread is long past it's prime, however I've referenced the pictures and comments many times, trying to find a pump that has the closed impeller.

There are Olds pumps being sold on ebay under the "JSD autoparts" name, and they are closed impeller. They are iron.

The impeller does not appear to be exactly same as Image 7689 in Post #16 above (only visible difference is that the OEM piece has two little protrusions cast near the hub of the impeller), however this impeller *is* a solid cast piece like shown above.

What throws me is that the impeller blades are only about 1/2" long, if that. It appears that the OEM closed impeller design was as well, which is less than shown on the open impeller pics shown above. These impellers "end" about where the machined surface steps down towards the bearing, the open impeller pics above clearly show the impellers extending further towards the center of the pump. Makes me wary that the closed impeller may not actually be any better at moving water.

There are no casting numbers on the pump body I can find, it appears to be uniformly rough from the casting process (not like I'd expect from a rebuild), and there is a very finely laser-etched "JSD" barely legible on the inlet neck. I find it hard to believe re-casting these is profitable, but I can't find any obvious evidence it's just a re-manufactured OEM part.

If I was buying one, I'd probably ask if it had a closed impeller, if these are somehow rebuilt units, it will probably be a crapshoot. But I did ask the seller for the pic from the rear, and it showed closed, and that is what I received. Here is the link to the sellers auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151875728423...S:1123&vxp=mtr Seller is " jsdautoparts" For $28 and free shipping I figured it worth the chance.

Again, sorry for dredging this post up, but I figured maybe others have been searching for closed impeller pumps as well, and this is one. If anyone is interested in measurements, I'd be happy to take them. Unfortunately I don't have anything that takes very good pics, but I can try if desired.
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:43 AM

if your is orig to the car why not have it rebuilt? I used http://www.waterpumpman.com/ to redo mine. So far mine is fine since putting it back on.
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:46 AM

whoops didn't how old this thread was. MY 74 olds 350 rocker with no a/c has an enclosed impeller.
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:55 AM

Save the time and trouble, buy a FLowkooler and be done with it. Very large impeller, aluminum housing and has really good flow through the radiator
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM

I know the comments above are from years back, but there were issues with the flowkooler fitment back then. Can you inform us if those have been fixed?

Certainly makes sense to buy the easily found off the shelf replacement, as long as it doesn't create extra work itself!
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dyeager535
I know the comments above are from years back, but there were issues with the flowkooler fitment back then. Can you inform us if those have been fixed?
I'm not sure what the old fitment issues were, but the FlowKooler #1576 I just put on a '69 350 was a perfect fit, replacing a 5.6" tall GM pump. The body was cast iron, the (closed) impeller was anodized aluminum. All the machining was high quality. The supplied gasket needed just a slight bit of trimming.
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the tips on the Water pumps and the link to Water Pump Man.
If you page back a little you will see in installed a Milodon pump in June 2012.
In July 2012 the supplied gasket blew out from between the two self-tapping screws (at the bottom of the pump).
I replaced the casket will a Felpro high volume gasket.
In June 2013, I noticed the shaft bearing had failed on the 1-year-old, 3000-mile aluminum pump.

I was later told, that you have to remove the fan belts when you are Not driving an Aluminum water pump.

I bought a Flowkooler that was theoretically for a 71 with AC. I thought I had measured the shaft correctly but I did not and the shaft was too short (also the pump was for a 1970 and not a 1971). Since I was in the middle of a timing chain replacement, I need a pump immediately. So I went to the corner auto store and bought an Iron open impeller for $30 bucks.

To permanently fix the issue with the 4x self-tapping screws, I drilled out the threads from the Timing cover (while I was replacing my timing chain) and welded on 1 / 4 Nuts to the back of the timing cover. There were NO clearance issues.
Now I use 4x ¼ bolts torqued to 18 pounds, instead of self-tapping screws torqued to 12 pounds.
I still have my stock pump. Maybe I will just send it to Water Pump Man.

Miles

Last edited by Miles71; February 4th, 2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old February 4th, 2016, 09:52 AM

Your original part will fit right and work right. Factory markings, proper date, etc. etc.

If it matters, you may wish to specifically ask the rebuilder man if he uses a stock [the original?] cast impeller or enclosed of the same open thing the unwashed masses use.
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Miles71
Hi oddball:
I ordered GMB 130-1260P from a local shop ($30.00). The pump did not have the Plate on the back of the blades. So I sent it back. Maybe Mildon is the one that puts the plates on the GMB 130-1260P pumps and then calls them 16285?
Next I contacted GMB and asked them. They said the 130-2773 with a hub height of 5.5 inches will fit my car with AC (NOT!)

Looks like ill try Mildon.

Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 8:03 AM
To: gmbcorp
Subject: closed impeller water pump?

I am looking to replace the water-pump on my 1971 Cutlass Supreme 350 CI
(with Air-conditioning, 5.95 inch hub height).

I have heard rumors that a Closed impeller water pumps are better for
cars with high heat loads such as Air-conditioning.

Your catalogs and documentation do not clearly identify which pumps, if
any have closed impellers.
I ordered a 130-1260P from a local shop and discovered that this pump
was an open impeller (so i sent it back).

Do you actually sell Closed impellers for the Cutlass?
If so, what is the part number.

Dear Miles, Thank you for your email. Please note, the application was checked and it was found the W/P to be used is a 130-2773. This P/N does NOT have a closed impeller. Unfortunately, we do not offer a closed impeller W/P for this application. also, please note, our most current catalog is found on our www.gmb.net website, in the Catalog section. It is the last catalog option and give you the drop-down box options. it is not a PDF catalog version of any of our printed versions. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Let me know if you have any further questions or issues. Best Regards,Adrienne J. TambergAssistant ManagerCustomer Service *************
Note: The GMB PDF catalogs for 2010 do not list the 1970 or 1971 350 Engine. This information is available with the "online" dropdown search window.
The GMB 130 2773 has hub height of 5.05, not 5.5. Its the short one . the 5.5 is the middle one r
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:43 AM

The Milodon looks like the older Flowkooler design. The Flowkooler I got a few weeks back has a CNC aluminum impeller that's still smaller than the original closed impeller on A/C cars, but its nice.