Water in oil, looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:52 PM

Water in oil, looking for suggestions

I have a relatively fresh Olds 350. It has been mildly built before I bought it. When I got it, it had water in the oil. The engine had been presumably over heated, but I don't know to what degree (found out later that lower radiator hose was collapsing). Fast forward, I replaced head gaskets (old ones were not blown) because it had a slight weep spot on the passenger head/block surface going down the outside of the engine (I believe this is now stopped). I hadn't really driven the car, but was able to take it out for a total of 20 miles trying to work out the bugs, when it ran warm and I found the hose sucking in when revved. It is still getting moisture into the oil, but it takes a while to really see that it is leaking and getting moisture. I did a pressure test to confirm. I know it was a budget rebuild, and I am thinking that the head bolts have been reused and could have been stretched out as well. I was thinking that I should pull my heads off and get them check out, not that they are warped or cracked. I am open to thoughts and suggestions. I don't know how the Olds 350 reacts to getting hot....are the strong (withstanding some abuse from heat)...will they crack easy. I am not sure what to expect.My budget is limited, but I can do the work. Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Reusing head bolts is no big deal... theses are not like the modern ones that need to be replaced after every tear down.

Get the heads pressure checked and/or mag'd.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:23 PM
Senior Moment Member

Mag'd. My .02.