Valve Train Noise : I know...

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2017, 07:14 PM

Smile Valve Train Noise : I know...

Evening

Started to hear the "valve train clicking noise" on one side the other night. Haven't taken the cover off to fully investigate, and had a few questions before doing so. I understand this can be a number of things, from a lifter, to worn rockers, to lack of oil/lubrication, etc.

And to be honest I'm familiar with valve/rocker work but on a "much" smaller, older motorcycle scale. This is "all" pretty new for me. Taking my time, doing my research.

Note: This is all stock. 350, 72 Cutlass S.

Questions...

- Any approach, procedure (engine cold, engine warm, etc.) that you would recommend in determining the problem?

- Is there a thread already on the topic? Searched but din't find anything specific.

- Check the rockers first? Believe my manual and other forums, have said to torque them down 25 ft lbs.? This could be cause of the tick, although many folks seem to lean toward a lifter or worn valve?

- Oil is fresh and correct, but I've been reading that a potential issue could be the "passages" being clogged? Have to still read more about this, but any info would be much appreciated.

- Also read in this forum under "How to do Valve Adjustment", that if this is is an Olds engine with a stock train then their is no adjustment? Had know idea.

Thanks for your help and reading along. Any advice or opinions on what I'm thinking would be very much appreciated!!!
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Check the rocker arms and bridges. Basically wiggle the rockers back and forth, if there is any amount of movement, replace that pair of rockers and the bridge.
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Check the rocker arms and bridges. Basically wiggle the rockers back and forth, if there is any amount of movement, replace that pair of rockers and the bridge.
Yup, thank you. That's where I'm going to start. Would it be a good idea, maintenance prevention, to replace all the rockers at once? Of course more costly, but figured as long as I was in there might be a good idea.

Also, do you have a preferred online source for good Olds parts?

Thanks again