Turbo engine build

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Turbo engine build

Ok help me decide on how to do this build. It will be a SBO simply because I have those parts already. I am looking at a compression ratio of 7 or 8 to 1. Now If I can I would love to do a stroker kit maybe stroke and bore. I don't want to go over board but more displacement would be nice. I also need to solve any oiling problems the Olds engine has. I will be a custom oil pan and possible crank scrapers. Along with that a remote filter, oil cooler and accusump. Probably going to use SBC pistons and rods as it is simply cheaper and easier to get them with a wider variety. Now I think what I have are 2 1972 blocks and a 1973. And as for heads I have 2 sets of 8's a 7a and 7. Will go with some sort of turbo cam. The wife and I will be making simple log type turbo manifolds. Once I find someone to make me 1/2 inch thick flanges. So if anyone wants to point me in the right direction for this build or parts just speak up. It will be a slow build looking at finishing next year.
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hangin' out...

As far as the flanges, check these out:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KOK-7049S/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KOK-7049E2/

Good luck!

Please keep us posted, sounds like a great project!
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Here are more. You really need to learn how to use Google...

http://www.stans-headers.com/gm_flanges.htm

http://www.stahlheaders.com/product_news.htm

http://www.headersbyed.com/__oldsmobile.htm
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Thanx guys. I was going to just have them made local. I really think I need 1/2 inch thick for a turbo flange because of the heat. Don't need them warping or not sealing. Do you think 3/8 would be enough?
Old April 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM

How much boost?
I'd go with a 330 crank offset ground to 3.500, then bore to 4.125, that still leaves plenty of wall left and yes, SBC parts, better and cheaper.

Heads won't be as important depending on your hp goals but probably the 7a's. But you can run more boost with aluminum.

When you're ready I'll do a cam for you, have you thought of going EFI? Sure makes it easy.

Sounds like a nice project.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
How much boost?
I'd go with a 330 crank offset ground to 3.500, then bore to 4.125, that still leaves plenty of wall left and yes, SBC parts, better and cheaper.

Heads won't be as important depending on your hp goals but probably the 7a's. But you can run more boost with aluminum.

When you're ready I'll do a cam for you, have you thought of going EFI? Sure makes it easy.

Sounds like a nice project.

Well boost is going to be varible for 2 reasons. One I am hoping to build 2 identical engines. One for me and one for the wife's car. And she won't want the boost I want. And I would like to run say 5-7psi on the street but be able to dial it up to 15-17psi. when the desire suits me. Certainly for track days although sustained 12psi is more realistic under that situation I think. But who wouldn't want 15-17psi? The crank, piston and rods are pretty much what I was thinking. What displacement does that yield? I thought that too about the heads they they aren't nearly as important as in a NA build so I should be fine. Aluminum heads would be great but bump up the price considerably. I think EFI is a must. I really don't feel like dealing with a blow thru carb. EFI can just handle everything better. Right now I am in research phase. I want to make sure I have things figured out first. Although the oiling system and manifolds are easy to experiment on. Some of that might happen as early as this week.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Well boost is going to be varible for 2 reasons. One I am hoping to build 2 identical engines. One for me and one for the wife's car. And she won't want the boost I want. And I would like to run say 5-7psi on the street but be able to dial it up to 15-17psi. when the desire suits me. Certainly for track days although sustained 12psi is more realistic under that situation I think. But who wouldn't want 15-17psi? The crank, piston and rods are pretty much what I was thinking. What displacement does that yield? I thought that too about the heads they they aren't nearly as important as in a NA build so I should be fine. Aluminum heads would be great but bump up the price considerably. I think EFI is a must. I really don't feel like dealing with a blow thru carb. EFI can just handle everything better. Right now I am in research phase. I want to make sure I have things figured out first. Although the oiling system and manifolds are easy to experiment on. Some of that might happen as early as this week.
375 c.i.
Depending on the amount of boost you can use a throttle body to keep the cost down but with a good controller, not the Self learning stuff, they don't do spark first of all, that's really important on a blown application especially. Lots of ways to go, of course I'll help.

Keep us posted.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Hey at least you're ahead of me. I'm still in the *dreaming* phase lol. If you do some Google searches you may find a few folks that have already done this. I still am thinking of doing this but I think I'll go LS 1st. That's slowing moving from the dreamin' stage to the planning stage. I have a 350 like you but mines runs good as s*it. I think I'll nitrous er up once I get my LS1 stuff and see how long she lasts but then again I might just sell er. Recoup some funds...
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM

This might help you. Check out the hole series. Performed by the master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dR0WCFRmA
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
This might help you. Check out the hole series. Performed by the master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6dR0WCFRmA

I kept up with that series for awhile then it seemed to stop with no updates. Guess I missed a bunch since then. Thanx for posting it.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Ok already have a line on one 330 3.5 offset crank from a member on here. Need to talk to the wife and see if we have the funds after last weekend. But should be ok.
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Here is the 330 crank I just recieved cut for 3.5 inch stroke.
100_8303.jpg
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM

Thought I would give a small update. I have ordered my exhaust manifold flanges so I should have those soon. I got them 1/2 inch thick so they should seal well. I also had a friend do some desktop dyno files for me. Not sure how accurate they are yet but sure does make me excited about the build. If you see any figures that are wrong let me know.
8_t51_12lbs.png
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM

The better one.
Screen20shot202011-05-0920at208_11_5320AM.png
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Well I got my flanges in for the manifolds. Have to say they are pretty darn nice. I will be getting the weld els probably next week.
100_8532.jpg
100_8533.jpg