Timing problem?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM

Timing problem?

After rebuilding my carb, I am still having an idling problem after the engine warms up. I want to check the timing, I do have a timing light; but I am not sure what procedure to take, or what the BTDC should be. Also, I am not sure what notch on the timing mark that the balancer should line up with, there are no numbers on it. It is times like this that I wish my father were still alive; this car would be road ready and haulin a.. by now. I miss you dad.

By the way, it is a 68 Cutlass with a 350 2bbl and A/T.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Past Administrator

Ok, I probably shouldn't do this since I will for sure get some information wrong but it will be in the ballpark at least. I am no vacation now and don't have any references but from memory, here goes.

-attach the timing light to the number one cylinder, front driver's side one.
-disconnect the vacuum advance to the distributor and plug the source to prevent a vacuum leak.
-locate the timing tab on the driver's side timing chain cover and the mark on the balancer, clean off both, use some chalk and highlight the mark on the balancer with it.
-start the car, let it warm up, make sure the timing light flashes (hooked up well). If you have a tach, wait until the idle speed drops down and the choke is fully dis-engaged.
-aim the light at the timing tab and hopefully you will see the mark on the balancer near the tab.
-you will need to move the distributor a few degrees one direction or the other to correct the timing mark to line up to the second mark on the timing tab (you cleaned it earlier to make this possible). This is the memory part; most tabs are marked at zero, 5 degrees advanced (one mark up), ten degrees advanced (two marks up). Ten degrees advanced should be a good figure to start at.

I hope somebody with better memory or a good reference can help out with the exact degrees of advance required (BTDC which is Before Top Dead Center). When you are finished, don't forget to re-connect your vacuum advance.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Past Administrator

So, what happened?
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Sorry, I've been really busy lately and have not had a chance to try things out. I will let you know, thanks
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I took a few minutes today to give it a try. I got the mark setting, but I have no idea if it is right because there are no numbers on the marker. I have attached a pic showing where the line on the balancer was at. Diagnosis is not my strong point, so I am struggling with this thing. Your help is much appreciated.

Last edited by Margie's68; August 30th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM

If you look close, the bottom mark has a stamped through "0" and at the top is a stamped through "10". I have the same on my 68 Cutlass. The point at the middle between the two is 5 degrees so half way between the 5 and the 10 is 7 BTDC. Thats where you want to be. If the purple mark on you pic indicated where you set it, your timing is slightly retarded, but very close. It look like your at about 5 BTDC.

Last edited by 68ragtop; May 26th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.