Timing cover Crank seal

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM

Timing cover Crank seal

This is likely no difficult task but work with me, I can't find a previous thread discussing this and this is my first car
So I bought a second 350 olds that I am going to paint and re gasket, I am going to put it in my car while I build my real engine, that way I can work out all of the kinks.
I am about to re gasket but I am having trouble with the timing cover crank seal, I have the dry rubber out but how do I get out the metal ring? Do I just beat on it? The more detail I can get the better (pictures?)
I would really appreciate any help.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1978 Oldsmobile Omega
This is likely no difficult task but work with me, I can't find a previous thread discussing this and this is my first car
So I bought a second 350 olds that I am going to paint and re gasket, I am going to put it in my car while I build my real engine, that way I can work out all of the kinks.
I am about to re gasket but I am having trouble with the timing cover crank seal, I have the dry rubber out but how do I get out the metal ring? Do I just beat on it? The more detail I can get the better (pictures?)
I would really appreciate any help.
The metal ring and rubber seal are one piece and normally come out together. The metal is a press fit into the front cover. You need to beat it out from the back or use a puller from the front. The new seal is tapped into the front cover with a driver or an appropriately-sized length of pipe. It's a good idea to get a repair sleeve for the balancer if there is any question at all about the quality of the sealing surface.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The metal ring and rubber seal are one piece and normally come out together. The metal is a press fit into the front cover. You need to beat it out from the back or use a puller from the front. The new seal is tapped into the front cover with a driver or an appropriately-sized length of pipe. It's a good idea to get a repair sleeve for the balancer if there is any question at all about the quality of the sealing surface.
Wow, well I took your advice and got a mallet and punch, I hit it once and it came right out, I grabbed my other one, and it took two hits, I had tried it before but it was before I knew the size of the seal and I was worried I bent it, but both came easy and look in great shape, thanks for your help Joe.