Timing 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010 | 05:26 AM

Timing 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass?

I have a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sport with a 350 rocket engine. The engine was rebuilt about 5K miles ago. The issue I have is when the engine is cold I am able to crank it up and it starts right up no problem. When running the engine runs no problem. Once the car has been driven a bit and is warmed up when I stop the engine and try to restart again the engine cranks like it’s stuck in molasses. It will start but it sometime will take me one to three attempts to get going. A friend of mine seems to think it’s my timing. He seems to feel that once the engine is warmed up the timing belt is stretching and we just need to adjust the timing. I will be honest I have done basic car repairs but this is out of my league. I am looking for others thought on this problem? Also if it’s just an adjustment is there a setting that needs to be specifically set for the 350 engine? He told me he had the tool to set it but I needed to get the timing specs for the car.
Old August 29th, 2010 | 09:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by youngmobile
I have a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sport with a 350 rocket engine. The engine was rebuilt about 5K miles ago. The issue I have is when the engine is cold I am able to crank it up and it starts right up no problem. When running the engine runs no problem. Once the car has been driven a bit and is warmed up when I stop the engine and try to restart again the engine cranks like it’s stuck in molasses. It will start but it sometime will take me one to three attempts to get going. A friend of mine seems to think it’s my timing. He seems to feel that once the engine is warmed up the timing belt is stretching and we just need to adjust the timing. I will be honest I have done basic car repairs but this is out of my league. I am looking for others thought on this problem? Also if it’s just an adjustment is there a setting that needs to be specifically set for the 350 engine? He told me he had the tool to set it but I needed to get the timing specs for the car.
I would suggest finding a friend who has a clue.

Your car does not have a "timing belt". It has a steel timing chain that most certainly does NOT "stretch". More to the point, use a timing light and check initial timing with the engine cold and again hot and note that there is no difference. What you have is the usual GM hot starter problem. Get a good high torque starter with high quality battery cables. Be sure all connections are clean. Any resistance in the starter circuit gets worse with heat, causing slow starter problems.
Old September 22nd, 2010 | 04:29 PM

I agree with Joe about your friend and about the "hot stater problem". Grab a new one and ride!
Old September 24th, 2010 | 10:39 AM

It wouldn't hurt to check the dwell. and the choke.and cable connections.