swap v6 to small block 77 Omega

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2014, 01:54 PM

swap v6 to small block 77 Omega

hi, i have a 1977 Omega f85 with the standard buick v6 engine. Im swapping a 350 chevy small block and was wondering since the v8 was optional at the, will a small block fit right in or will i need to get new motor mounts? any advice is greatly appreciated
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM
major noob

Knew motor mounts and transmission but why a Chevy budlol look on your local craigslist and you might find an olds 350 which besides the motor mounts will be a direct fit
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by billmerbach
Knew motor mounts and transmission but why a Chevy budlol look on your local craigslist and you might find an olds 350 which besides the motor mounts will be a direct fit
That would be incorrect. The Olds V8 is not a direct swap by any means. The trans bolts up, but that's about it. I know this is an Oldsmobile forum, but the Buick 350 IS an easy swap, IMHO.

Last edited by captjim; April 15th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:31 PM
major noob

Sorry I guess what I mean to say is a more easier swap than chevy. He would to do do some rewiring as well and get new brackets if he can't find one with all his required brackets
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Sorry I guess what I mean to say is a more easier swap than chevy. He would to do do some rewiring as well and get new brackets if he can't find one with all his required brackets
So other than new frame mounts, new accessory brackets, new starter, new wiring harness, perhaps new condensor and radiator, new exhaust pipe, it is a direct swap? Posts like yours are what cause problems here, you need to be complete and not toss up some hasty, poorly written post which may lead to a guy getting frustrated when it really isn't that easy. Easier than a SBC? Maybe, but not by much.
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:09 PM
major noob

I'll just shut up then....plus I never said tailpipe nor radiatior etc I'm not gonna start a fight but I ain't gonna sit back and take nothing from no one. My post may be 'hastly' written but I'm a lot busier than most 16 year olds and I'm still learning I'm doing the same swap as him and I was relaying what I have been told and to me what I was told

Last edited by billmerbach; April 15th, 2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: speaking my mind
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM

I'm doing the same swap as him and I was relaying what I have been told and to me what I was told
This is one of the big problems with our hobby, guys perpetuating bad info, just repeating things they have heard versus actually experiencing it. The Olds FAQ was a perfect example. I'm not telling you to shut up. But, if you make a post that is incorrect, someone will step in and say so. If I say something wrong, I expect someone to correct me. You gotta remember, when you make a post giving advice, some people may take that advice, whatever the subject. So, if you aren't sure, or have just heard, say it. Whenever I post something like that, I always qualify it by saying so.
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:11 PM
major noob

Originally Posted by captjim
This is one of the big problems with our hobby, guys perpetuating bad info, just repeating things they have heard versus actually experiencing it. The Olds FAQ was a perfect example. I'm not telling you to shut up. But, if you make a post that is incorrect, someone will step in and say so. If I say something wrong, I expect someone to correct me. You gotta remember, when you make a post giving advice, some people may take that advice, whatever the subject. So, if you aren't sure, or have just heard, say it. Whenever I post something like that, I always qualify it by saying so.
I also want to be corrected but I trust you guys and you guys are the ones who told me what I told him grant it I may have left out a few details but if it seems easy to me I expect it to be a piece of cake to a novice car guy and sorry didn't mean to jump you having a bad day