Surging under WOT

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Surging under WOT

Hey all,

Having an issue with my 85 Delta 88 under wide open throttle, mainly in the 1/4 mile

The car is chugging/surging while going down the track, mainly at around 3,000 RPMs and up.

Somebody said its the fuel pump or filter. I changed the filter back in September and I've put less than 2000 miles on it. I read something on here about possible ignition issues, which if it is, I'm not putting one cent into the 7 wire HEI on the car now.

The day? It was hot, soupy, hard to breathe type of day. I downed 3 bottles of Gatorade during the course of the day.

The car usually runs in the mid 18's, but it's been running in the high 19's low 20's ( having traction issues too, but everybody was spinning off the line, ran 19.6 today with minimal wheel spin )

I checked the timing, which I've never touched and it was at 31* at 1000 idel in park but it was dead on, not jumping around so I feel the timing chain is OK. 31 is high though.

Fuel pump? Distributor? Coil? If I replace the distributor, can I replace it with a vacuum canned one instead of the electronic? The TPS is NOT hooked up, it was that way when I bought it
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I can't see the TPS not being hooked up helping anything.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you don't have more issues - more often.

If you're thinking of yanking the HEI for a non CCC one .....

I'd just go "all in" ..... & eliminate it all.

I'd definitely build/buy/beg/borrow/steal some sort of kit to lock up the TCC so your trans temps don't skyrocket.

That is assuming you are running an original type trans.

While I can't say with 100% certainly ...

I may have fried a trans years ago after doing that.

Knowing NOW what I didn't know then ... the extra heat probably did it in along with the fact I certainly didn't baby it. A trans cooler might be wise investment as well.

Yes ... you'd want a standard Olds HEI with the VA can.

Anything Olds 1975-1980 should work ... cept' for a Misar ? equipped 77/8 403 Toro & any FI 350 Eldo/Seville.

And I gotta ask .....

What gears are in your car ?.

Kinda shocked to hear you have a traction problem ... esp since it's not running right.
Old July 15th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Is your distributor locked? What is your timing showing at 3400 rpm?
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM

I have the original gears, 2.73, also the original Trans as well.

I'll plug the TPS back in and see what happens. All the other emissions are there. I did undo one vacuum line. I think is was emission related, it was on the thermal vacuum switch on the back of the Trans.

I have a tranny gauge. Brand new! I forgot I had it, so I'll put that in instead of the volt gauge. I'll have oil, water, and Trans.

I'll check the timing at 3400