smoking

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

smoking

well i got everything taken care of and one day i went to crank the motor because i dont drive the car but i dont want it to just sit there and after it warmed up i noticed continous white smoke coming from exhaust not huge clouds or anything but it kinda smells like burning oil. as soon as i popped the hood i could see smoke. i know that a blown head gasket causes this, but i just replaced them and the car hasnt even seen 1 hr of run time since. ill warm it for about 15 min or so then shut it off and go on with my business. ive read somewhere that a bad pcv valve can cause this. can anyone point me in the right direction. could it be the valve stem seals? can anyone show me some pics on how the head is assembled particularly the valve stem seals like what they look like and what not. thx for any help. i hate to have to repost this but noone answered in the other thread
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM

If your valve covers leak oil onto the exhaust manifolds, the smoke will occure from underhood. My 86 does this (the valve cover gaskets on this one are very difficult to replace).
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM

it not only does that but also through the tail pipe. it doesnt do it when its cold only at opr. temp. i have the factory service manual gm made for just this car but i dont know what im supposed to be looking for and as far as the valve cover gaskets go thats a job in itself. cadillac made things so difficult. they should of stuck with that big 500.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM

This engine has a major issue.
Pull the spark plugs to see which hole is the offender.
Could also be most or all of them.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:07 PM

how big of an issue do you think it is? not the kind of look for another motor issue huh. ill check it out tomorrow im fixin to head out to work
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM

had a mechanic check it out. he told me that my carb needed to be rebuilt and that it was leaking gas onto the manifold because the line from the fuel pump to the carb front was cracked in more than one place. and that my exhaust crossover was rubbing right up against the oil pan and making my oil really hot which in turn is probably making the motor create a lot of blow by. he also said the motor mounts would have a lot to do with the exhaust the way it is. he thinks about another 200 bucks will do me right. also my master cylinder is going out. and i was wondering if i order the motor mounts from rockauto.com that go to a 77 pontiac firebird 403 if they would fit my cars x member and motor. any input much appreciated
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ramos7
had a mechanic check it out. he told me that my carb needed to be rebuilt and that it was leaking gas onto the manifold because the line from the fuel pump to the carb front was cracked in more than one place. and that my exhaust crossover was rubbing right up against the oil pan and making my oil really hot which in turn is probably making the motor create a lot of blow by. he also said the motor mounts would have a lot to do with the exhaust the way it is. he thinks about another 200 bucks will do me right. also my master cylinder is going out. and i was wondering if i order the motor mounts from rockauto.com that go to a 77 pontiac firebird 403 if they would fit my cars x member and motor. any input much appreciated
Find a new mechanic.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Find a new mechanic.
how bad you think hes doin me
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM

how bad you think hes doin me

I just don't agree with his remedies for the problems you are having specifically the smoking problem. Now, this is not to say you don't have carburetor problems and need motor mounts as I can't see the car.

This is all of course my opinion based on the information posted.
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM

ive been trying to load a vid to youtube but the connection is so slow will try again soon
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM

A problem I experienced a few times was because I left the exhaust manifolds hooked up to pipes lying on the frame. When heads are pulled lots of coolant runs into the manifolds. On startup when things warm there will be lots of smoke till all burns/evaporates out....quite scarey for startup after engine work!
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM

thats what a bud of mine told me but i took the manifolds completely off before removing the heads. i was told that was how i was supposed to do it heres the links to the youtube vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLPlkm6qV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9-m...eature=channel

the second vid you can see the smoke right at the beginning but when i got up close you cant see it. but you can see in the first vid that smoke comes from all over the motor not just one side. kinda of a stumper for me
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM

anybody out there
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM

If the smoke comes from all over the engine it is oil or paint on the surfaces that get hot, this should stop after a few hours of driving. As for the exhaust smoke, it did not look like much on the video. Drive the car for a few days and see if it changes.
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM

I'm no expert but my take on it is the same. The exhaust looked Ok in the video and I beleive the small amount of smoke I could see was just normal oil/paint burning off the engine. Run it a while with the hood open and see if it doesn't go away.

I would keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case. I bought a 442 once and drove it home [about 2 miles] and some Yahoooooo had put the hot wire too close to the exhaust manifold and it caught on fire in my garage.

IMHO it pays to be extra safe.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM

thanks everyone im going to put new mounts and rebuild the carb and the let it run. i just didnt want to keep it going like that not knowing whats going on with it.

and can any one clear up the motor mount issue for me? im thinking about ordering the mounts to a 79 firebird with a 403 and using those but im not sure if it will work with my x member. again thanks everyone i was fixing to go get me a whole new engine if i couldnt get this one right

also i need a fuel line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb. anybody know where i can get one?
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

403/firebird mounts will not work. they are more or less Chevy mounts with a custom bracket.

What is your car?
If it's a Caddy that came with a 307, use 1980-84 Olds 98 307 mounts.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
403/firebird mounts will not work. they are more or less Chevy mounts with a custom bracket.

What is your car?
If it's a Caddy that came with a 307, use 1980-84 Olds 98 307 mounts.
exactly what i needed to know. man i love this site. thx alot everyone heres some money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

is tis the one i need? i have a 1990 caddy brougham

Last edited by ramos7; August 19th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Looks correct to me.
Compare it to your old crusty mounts to be double sure.

P.S. the bolts are 5/8" and 11/16"
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM

aaahhh thanks for clearing the air i can see the light now.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM

gonna change the motor mounts this wkend any advice? never changed those before thx
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:12 AM

That is not smoke.
Whisp maybe, but nothing major.
Try some new valve cover gaskets, that's what my opinion is. It is coming out from below the breather, easy fix. That's also when you notice the factory started using sillycone on the valve covers to seal these. Use a gasket, I like cork.
Jim
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:12 PM

cool ill try those cork gaskets i have felpro rubber ones now.

hate to ask so many questions but i got under there to change out the motor mounts and saw that there is a cover bracket that connects the motor to the mount well i pulled out the long bolt that goes through the bracket and it came right off. so i got to cleaning the block underneath and saw that the bolts that hold the mount to the block were broke off in the block. the last meathead that worked on this car obviously didnt know what he was doing. any suggestions. im really leaning toward getting a sbc 350 from a 92 and swapping it out. but i dont wanna get rid of my olds engine i like it , it even ran great with a blown head gasket
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM

I agree the cork gaskets work very well on the valve covers. I had very good luck with mine. Only problem is they tend to slide off when you are putting the covers back on...even with adhesive. I managed to get my fingers under there and move them into place...was a pain but worked!
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM

im really leaning toward getting a sbc 350 from a 92 and swapping it out.
Bad plan. It's not straight foreward like you may think. Everything is on the other side of the car. Fuel lines, battery, wiring. It's all different.
I'm not sure what trans you have either, but that could need to be changed as well.

If you decide that you need a different engine find another small block olds. Be it another 307, a 350 or a 403. They will all bolt right in with NO MODS REQUIRED. Use all of your existing brackets and wiring.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM

is there a place i can order a rebuilt one ready to go, im gonna wait until income tax and buy everything in one shot