Rocket to SBC swap

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Rocket to SBC swap

replacing my tapping rocket motor and every other month there's a bill hydromatic transmission for a 1988 350 SBC and 700r4 tranny. Multiple reasons why, but I want a clean reliable cruiser for my wife in the long run so we're doing it.
There a thread about the swap as I assume it's been done a few hundred times. Mainly need info about new motor mount positions and tips for an easy conversion. Also planning on adding a discbrake conversion so if you have a supplier would love a link. Thanks
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'll be the first to say, don't ask
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Daytona
........ There a thread about the swap as I assume it's been done a few hundred times ........
For the best Chev information, search the Chev sites.

If you have Olds questions, ask them here.

........ adding a discbrake conversion ........
http://www.discbrakemike.com

Norm
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Past Administrator

sorry to hear about your decision. An Olds 350 would be a better choice though.
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Cheap and available
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Old adage

My Grandfather used to say,

"Sometimes when you get a bargain.............................
You get syhpilis"
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Cheap most usually isn't the best.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM

A 350 Oldsmobile and transmission will be a easier swap and fit in a existing Olds Chassie
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Cheap and available
Then you have not looked (or cared to) hard enough.

John
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Give up. Trying is the first step to failure. That is what Homer Simpson says...
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Chevy guy chiming in.

Tony, I know where you are at with things and honestly good luck getting any information on this swap. The Olds guys will tell you to ask the chevy guys, and the chevy guys won't know because they probably don't have an olds, and frankly from the research I have done there isn't anything like the olds frame, motor mounts etc. when it comes to chevrolet. Anyway I have the same situation you have and I have a 355 chevy built and ready to go but I haven't decided to go that route as my car is original and I am carefully weighing out my options.

I think with regard to the small block chevy and 700 R4 your best bet would be to call Bowtie Overdrives for the tranny cross member they have universal units that should work and they will probably be able to tell you what will work.

The engine mounts are another ball game that will probably result in you using some kind of universal mounting system. Where you weld or drill holes and bolt/weld part of the mount to the frame and then when the engine is dropped in bolting that piece to the mounts already mounted on the engine block.

One alternative might be using the front mount system used on the old 55 to around 60 chevy's. You can find these types of mounting systems several places. However you still have to figure out someway to connect that mounting system to the crossmember/frame of the olds chassis.

I have hunted the internet hi and low and found absolutely no information what so ever on this conversion. I know there are clearance issues with the steering box and the driver side exhaust. Lastly I would guess the most important aspect of this whole thing would be getting your transmission to driveshaft angle correct so that you don't have any unwanted vibrations. My guess would be take the whole assembly drop it down in the hole and start measuring that angle and figure out your clearance for everything else, including steering parts/ travel etc.. I have seen at least 6 mid 50's olds with the small block in them and they fit very nicely but I have yet to find out what the exact process was. I am pretty much just guessing. You might be better off to speak with a hot rod shop thats not so loyal to the Oldsmobile brand and does a lot of engine swaps.

From a perspective of your Hydro problems you may want to speak with Ross Racing as they are working on an adapter for the 400 turbo and hopefully the 700 sometime in the next year or so.

I sympathize with your situation and wish you the best. In my opinion there are a lot of good reasons to do what your talking about. Especially from a perspective of getting parts and not having to pay 3 times what more modern engine parts cost.
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM

I have seen at least 6 mid 50's olds with the small block in them and they fit very nicely
They fit so nicely because they are so small. Plus, the only problem with these cars is that they barely move. It is like putting a lawn mower engine in a bulldozer.

Sorry. I have to bash the SBC engine ever chance I get.
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Multiple reasons why, but I want a clean reliable cruiser for my wife in the long run so we're doing it.
With all due respect, the way I got into Oldsmobiles was not just by chance or a whim.They are GREAT CARS

I am still driving a 69 442 that I bought that had been driven by 6 highschool boys[4 of them brothers], that has not had any major problems.[ and yes it was severely abused as you might imagine]The car easily has 300k miles on it.

IMHO there is nothing more reliable that and Olds 350, 400 or 455 motor hooed up to a 350 or 400 tranny.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:17 AM

Olds 64

Hey, uh , I need a new lawn mower engine and I was wondering if you think my chevy 355 roller cam aluminum head motor would do o.k. in my garden tractor. Or maybe since I do quite a bit of mowing and would like to push some snow and tilling mmmm do you think I should go with a 425 olds instead

LOL I had to give you some grief back.. I'm going to go with long tube headers and flow masters on that garden tractor, I'm going to tub it out and put a posi in it with rack and pinion steering too. LOL
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by johnfharding
Hey, uh , I need a new lawn mower engine and I was wondering if you think my chevy 355 roller cam aluminum head motor would do o.k. in my garden tractor. Or maybe since I do quite a bit of mowing and would like to push some snow and tilling mmmm do you think I should go with a 425 olds instead

LOL I had to give you some grief back.. I'm going to go with long tube headers and flow masters on that garden tractor, I'm going to tub it out and put a posi in it with rack and pinion steering too. LOL
It better be a 4 bolt main or it wont last to long.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:30 AM

It better be a 4 bolt main
I thought Chevy motors also had 8 bolt mains since they were made from Chinesium...
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:43 AM
car guy

Its not something I would do but if you want to do it on a Cutlass just pretend its a Chevelle. Use the chevelle frame mounts and the motor will drop right in. Its the same frame.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM

I appreciate the info John, will post some details as they pan out.

And sorry to those who seem to think it's wrong putting in a different motor, I can give you an address to where you can send a check to if you feel like financing my project, or better yet just fly on down and do it since you clearly know best and everything there is to know about this.
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Use what you have. The frames are common through the "A" body line up. Use the chevy parts, mounts etc. and it is essentially a bolt in. It's just not popular among purists. I am curious though, have you considered rebuilding your sbo and backing it up with a 200r4? Unless you already have the chevy mechanicals in ready to go condition, you will likely be money ahead retaining the olds, using a more durable drive line. after buying the parts to do the conversion.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Teasing is what we do when anyone puts a chebby motor in an Oldsmobile. Doesn't mean we don't like you. Just means we think Olds motors are better (Torque monsters as well) in Oldsmobile cars plus keeping it Oldsmobile makes it worth more money when you go to sell it

Pat

57 Olds Super 88 with 455, built to the hilt and go even faster
48 Olds 2dr fastback with 455, 5-speed stick go fast
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Its your car, do what you want. But if your coming to an olds site to ask how to put a chevy engine in it, people just arent going to be into it. Olds makes great eninges. Lots of torque. Also cheep. Where are you located? It doesnt say in your profile. Ill do some searching. I bet i can find an olds motor cheep for you. (thats why you said you going with the chevy)

Josh
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM

In Ormond Beach, FL. A friend of mine came across the motor, he does salvage for a living, for what I got the motor and tranny for I can sell the Rocket and pay for the crossmember and mounts I'll need before getting to the brakes...which will be another question...Whats original bore for that master cylinder on the original 54's?
csstrux...will my x frame be the same as all 55-57 chevy's? So if I get a motor mount kit from say bowtie overdrives would I be using the motor mount and crossmember kit for the 55-57 chevy's?
No problem about the ball busting, but was starting to sound very HAMBish teetering from tradition. This ones for the wife anyways.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM

csstrux...will my x frame be the same as all 55-57 chevy's? So if I get a motor mount kit from say bowtie overdrives would I be using the motor mount and crossmember kit for the 55-57 chevy's?
No problem about the ball busting, but was starting to sound very HAMBish teetering from tradition. This ones for the wife anyways.
Chevy didn't start the x-frame until 1958 or so. . .
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM

*Disclaimer -- I normally do not support hybrids of any kind. I think a Chevy should have a Chevy engine, etc.*

Good grief there is a lot of SBC hate going on here. Regardless of your taste you have to respect that fact that the SBC is the #1 hot rod engine in the world, second to none. I like Olds too, but can't we have a little respect?

Nobody seemed to be hating on the Schwartz performance car for the Ls motor, or Leno's Olds. Is build quality the only thing that excuses a non-Olds powertrain?
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM

At least it ain't a furd

Seriously if you got the chebby all lined up and want to tackle the conversion go for it. I've owned alot of chebby 350's and won't knock 'em abit one of my crew trucks is a 93 with 200,000 miles on it and all I've ever done to that engine is change the oil( and thats working const. every day of it's life).

Ahem, who typed that some bowtie virus must'v got in here if it were me I'd go rocket power all the way.
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Well heres a few things i found

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/964667556.html

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/942728471.html

http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/960610659.html

http://ocala.craigslist.org/pts/928172356.html

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/pts/947450052.html

http://www.oldsclubofflorida.com/OCF...ale_parts.html
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:07 AM

........ will my x frame be the same as all 55-57 chevy's? ........
Chevs were all "A" bodies. Olds were either "B" or "C" bodies. Nothing interchanges.

Norm
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by hsckris
........ Good grief there is a lot of SBC hate going on here ........
There is a difference between "Chev hate" and "Olds pride".

You only see "hate" because you are looking for it.

Or is it, that your definition of "disagreement" as "hate" has moved from politics to automotive forums?

The "nuts and bolts" of the conversion is the same, regardless what engine is used. Remove the front clip, set the engine/trans where you want it, and start fabricating. When you finish fabricating, put the clip back on.

The easy way is to use the original combination, but the choice is up to the owner.

Norm
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
........ Use the Chevelle frame mounts ........
It's a '54, not a '64.

Norm
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by csstrux
........ using a more durable drive line ........
Hard to get more "durable" than the existing Hydramatic.

Norm
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by johnfharding
........ your Hydro problems ........

Norm
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:08 AM

In Ormond Beach, FL. A friend of mine came across the motor, he does salvage for a living, for what I got the motor and tranny for I can sell the Rocket and pay for the crossmember and mounts I'll need before getting to the brakes...which will be another question...Whats original bore for that master cylinder on the original 54's?
I must have been skimming...AGAIN... and missed that part about an x frame. That or reading too many posts and jumbling them in my head. I thought you were talking about converting a cutlass to a chevy powerplant. cutlasses are related to chevells, lemanses and skylarks. The fifties iron is too far before my time to be of any help there, lately I have been misreading and responding acordinly to enough of these posts to be less than usless all together. I believe alot of the basic and structural componentry is common in the gm family, but am not sure. Again sorry about the junk post
Old December 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks Chad, no prob.

Ok, I'm an *** for putting a chebby in an Olds. No prob, used to it. I have the motor and tranny here, in my garage, and they're ready to go. Hope the die hards will get over it, and the haters forget about me. Oh, and no, I definately don't know nearly as much as majority of you nor never claimed to, just asked for some help and advice to what I already have....not what I should have done.

So back to question, as the car (a 54 Super 88)is either a B or C frame, these were not the same frames as a 55-57 Chevy? How can I properly identify whats there in order to get the parts I need, which I believe are a crossmember, and motor mounts (obviously if they're available, otherwise we'll be fabricating with some square tubing). Thanks
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM

Tony, In any case it is not the same as a Chevy of the same year. You will have to deal with the rear steering box which will get in the way of the motor mount locations on the side of the chevy engine. The rear steering box will also be in the way of the drivers front side motor mount and the rear transmission mount will have to be fabricated from scratch as well.
The Olds engine used a front motor mount under the front damper pully and side mounts on the transmission neither of which will work for you. You will also have to use a short shaft transmission in order to not bang up against the X frame.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

Here we go again...ask these guys.
http://www.chevelles.com/homering.html
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Warhead
Here we go again...ask these guys.
http://www.chevelles.com/homering.html
I don't have a chevelle. And if you have nothing of substance to add, why not just move on? Internet comedians, you must really crack yourself up.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM

Hey Tony

This is more of the site your looking for. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

I still do not understand!

Last edited by f-85; December 22nd, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by hsckris
Regardless of your taste you have to respect that fact that the SBC is the #1 hot rod engine in the world, second to none.
Not if you go over to the HAMB, they will tell you it is the venerable Ford Flathead 8.

Like Norm said, just lots of pride for our Oldsmobile. Understand that a lot of this is jest in good spirit. But guys, let's just watch the pack mentality and not mob up too much, ok?
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Warhead
From post #29:

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Originally Posted by gearheads78
........ Use the chevelle frame mounts ........
It's a '54, not a '64.
Norm
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Understand that a lot of this is jest in good spirit. But guys, let's just watch the pack mentality and not mob up too much, ok?

X2

Geeeeeeeeeeeez Louise

Quick Reply: Rocket to SBC swap