Revamping my cooling system

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Revamping my cooling system

Hey guys so I went to the stock set up for the fan,clutch and shroud and pulleys. To add a little back ground the car when I got it had a spacer and a flex lite fan and I cut the shroud because it was hitting the fan back when I forst got it done ., this is when I was a bit younger I may add and not very patient. Well as the hp has gone up keeping the temps in check has been harder and to many peoples advice I decided to go stock. I had a hard time as my big aluminum radiator did not jive well with the fit . I also found out that I had a bolt missing on the core support !!!!! So that fixed the shroud hitting the fan issue then I had to cut my top plate so that I could proper blot the shroud in place. Then i had to trim the side of the shroud a bit to get it to clear the tank. The shroud does not cover the entire radiator do you think me trimming it will affect it a lot. Thanks in advance guys. Im realy digging the stock look of the set up and it is motivating me to redo some wiring and my carb lines aswell.

Ignore that birds nest of wires in the second pic it was for my aux. fans behind the rad. they are not going back in and im unwiring it all .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 1st, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Clearly you have a case of functionality over beauty. As long as the shroud is attached well I see no reason why it should work well. The open area on the sides will flow air at speed and I believe radiator is large enough for the fan to pull enough air through the center.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:32 PM

I drove it today and never say temps over 180 works flawlessly . My engine bay was show worthy when it was first done . Currently im stuck on show vs. go lol. The body will always reflect the fact im a body man and im proud the fact most people will overlook the missing window trim and compliment how straight the body and paint is. Plus it's fun when people look at your car and are like "that went how fast lol and it's an olds" .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 2nd, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Overheating usually occurs during idle and driving in heavy traffic. So if that's ok it's all good. As far as replacing trim and other missing pieces, that comes with time. You have a very nice car, you did a lot with a little, I'd be proud of it.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:51 PM

Yeah my issue was strictly with idle air flow and fan /h20 pump speed which is why I ditched the under drive pulleys and went full stocker set up. I went down to the local park and just park it and had a cup of coffee while I let it idle. I let it idle for about 20 min. and it was fine.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM

Something you might want to consider over the winter months is building a custom fan shroud from fiberglass. I looked up how to build a custom fan shroud on the internet and there are several sights that show how to do it.
I built a custom shroud for my 65 using those sights and the shroud I built fit's the radiator and the fan perfect. It's not that hard, it is a little time consuming and it cost about a $100 in materials.
I know that every place there is an air leak around the edges you loose efficiency and the fan has to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud for it to work at it's best.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM

I thought about making my own but I think this will work for my needs. There is a considerable amount of airflow when I rev the engine from under the hood when compared to before. If I make a shroud I was just going to make it from sheet metal . My friend does duct work so he has all the tools to shrink shape resistance weld everything nice but I like to stick to the kiss rule.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I thought about making my own but I think this will work for my needs. There is a considerable amount of airflow when I rev the engine from under the hood when compared to before. If I make a shroud I was just going to make it from sheet metal . My friend does duct work so he has all the tools to shrink shape resistance weld everything nice but I like to stick to the kiss rule.
But fiberglass looks so much cooler.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM

I hate fiberglass with a passion. First job working on cars in high school I was a mechanic's helper working on semi's and flatjob trucks. Since I knew enough at the time he had me fix all the noses that the drivers messed up.