Refreshments for my 68 350

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Refreshments for my 68 350

Hi folks. This may be a bit of a long thread but I need help and feel I should explain...

I purchased a 1968 Olds Holiday coupe from the daughter of the original owner. When I got it, it was 100% original.

350 V-8 with power glide. 2 BBL carb all stock from 1968! When they still owned it they asked a neighbor kid to change the thermostat and he busted all of the bolts off in the intake.

I got the car home. Drove ok. But I have health plans for the motor!

New edelbrock intake, new quadrajet 4bbl carb (was about 10+ years old but still in the plastic wrap), new double roller timing chain, a mild cam, hei distributor, water pump, thermostat housing, etc...

Anyway, I have all of the above mentioned done. When I have the timing set to where it'll run it seems to idle ok and will rev up but kinda slow. I thought it was the timing being 1 tooth off but when i move it 1 tooth forward or back it wont start.

When I do have it running and have it in drive it will not accelerate at all. If I let it, it will stall... I'm starting to not know what to do... Should I have replaced the O.E fuel pump? I have tore the carb apart to find nothing seeming to be wrong.

I do also have a 1/2 inch spacer that was not allowing the throttle to open but I caught that and reemed it out to work right..

Any input is greatly appriciated! I am starting to think I should have just fixed the stupid t-stat and be done but thats not any fun.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Just the facts...

first...welcome!

the trans. you have is not a powerglide, it is a jetaway 2-speed, a.k.a. buick super turbine 300, or a thm 300.

edelbrock intake-ok

quadrajet- sitting for 10 years, not good. is it the correct carb. number for the application? it s/b a 7028250. however that carb requires a divorced choke and the edelbrock is not compatible with that type of choke. the quadrajet was meant for the high-compression(10.25:1 advertised) version of the 350. also, the 4-bbl. engine used larger valves, iirc. need the carb. number you are using.

timing set and a cam-need more info on these pieces and how they were installed. i'm assuming you didn't degree the cam.

hei distributor-from what application? you are aware the timing curves and vacuum advance curves can be vastly different from what the engine('68 low-compression, 9:1 advertised) wants, right? the hei's were used on '74 and newer motors with lower compression, leaner mixtures and an egr system. they usually have a lot of early vacuum advance and lazy mechanical advance.

how are you setting the timing? with a timing light? what spec. are you using? did you have the distributor vacuum advance disconnected when you set the timing? also, the timing is set at a specified rpm.

i'm not trying to "bust your nuts" here, but it sounds like you did a lot of things without much pre-planning. we should be able to get it to run better, there is hope.

bill
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
first...welcome!

the trans. you have is not a powerglide, it is a jetaway 2-speed, a.k.a. buick super turbine 300, or a thm 300.

edelbrock intake-ok

quadrajet- sitting for 10 years, not good. is it the correct carb. number for the application? it s/b a 7028250. however that carb requires a divorced choke and the edelbrock is not compatible with that type of choke. the quadrajet was meant for the high-compression(10.25:1 advertised) version of the 350. also, the 4-bbl. engine used larger valves, iirc. need the carb. number you are using.

timing set and a cam-need more info on these pieces and how they were installed. i'm assuming you didn't degree the cam.

hei distributor-from what application? you are aware the timing curves and vacuum advance curves can be vastly different from what the engine('68 low-compression, 9:1 advertised) wants, right? the hei's were used on '74 and newer motors with lower compression, leaner mixtures and an egr system. they usually have a lot of early vacuum advance and lazy mechanical advance.

how are you setting the timing? with a timing light? what spec. are you using? did you have the distributor vacuum advance disconnected when you set the timing? also, the timing is set at a specified rpm.

i'm not trying to "bust your nuts" here, but it sounds like you did a lot of things without much pre-planning. we should be able to get it to run better, there is hope.

bill
I guess I was a bit vage on my exlpenation on this huh? LOL

Thank you for replying and I do not see this as busting *****. So no worries!

I have never owned an Olds before just Chevys. I actually only bought it to play with cause it is pretty rough shape... It took me about 6 months to get all of the pieces to the engine together so I haven't even played yet..

I had know idea that Oldsmobile even made their own 2 spd trans! LOL God I feel kinda dumb... Leanring though!

I just found out that the carb has been sitting for even longer... Almost 16yrs. I was just hoping that because it was sealed and tucked away that it would still be usable. I can tell you that it is an actual Olds carb but beyound that???? No idea. I can get all of the numbers off it and post my findings.

The cam. Honestly I had my mechanic tell me whats the best to use in a stock engine. He is a true mechanic has his certifications and works on $150k hotrods all day. Not just saying this to sound good either. Anyway, its a mild lift/duration cam. And I did not degree it. Just normal dot to dot install!

The HEI destributor is a billet shaft, with adjustable advance. Again, advice from friend on what I could use and get away with. I do not have the advance hooked up yet and the vacuum port on the carb is capped. And the best I have had the car run yet is only able to idle decently. Put it in gear and she doesn't want to go... I have been told I need to either have the carb rebuilt or replaced....

Thanks again!
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Just secured another working carb. I will post my results sometime thins week...
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Boy I had to double check if this post was mine or not (except for the cam)

Good luck with the build