reassembly question. help please....

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM

reassembly question. help please....

Question one. When putting oil pan on...sealer on oil pan side or block side of gasket? Question two... do the head gaskets in my felpro kit require sealer? And lastly, where might I find a new timing cover? The old one is a little rough and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get a good seal for the water pump. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM

On a recent episode of Power Block TV this past weekend (350 Olds build), they showed the Technician applying a sealer onto the block side of the pan gasket. They then left the pan sitting on top of the gasket without torquing it down for several hours. The rationale was that this will eliminate any ripples in the gasket material thereafter. Try Fusick Automotive or Dick Miller Racing for the timing cover. Good Luck!
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by hawks70
Question one. When putting oil pan on...sealer on oil pan side or block side of gasket? Question two... do the head gaskets in my felpro kit require sealer? And lastly, where might I find a new timing cover? The old one is a little rough and I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get a good seal for the water pump. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
I really like the brush on aviation style sealer and use it on both sides of the gasket. None on the rubber seals except for some RTV Black at the 4 corners. Big fan of the copper spray on head gaskets.
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks! Was helpful! I'll check them out!! Can't wait to get her back in one piece running again. Killed me not being able to drive it last summer.....
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM

The blue FelPro gaskets do not require re-torking, and I use spray High Tack on them but I do not think it is really necessary. Copper spray is good for steel shim head gaskets. I use sealer on pan side of gasket only so if I need to remove I can clean off the gasket that is stuck to pan and little cleaning on block side. I also use RTV black on the front and rear oil pan rubber seals. I also stick the water pump gasket to the pump only so little cleaning needs to be done on water pump backing plate upon removal. Never had a leak...
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM

No sealer of any sort is needed on those head gaskets.
On the HP Tv episode he laid the pan on the gasket a while before he applied sealer to it in order for it to flatten out.
I use ultra grey on the end seals and corners of the pan, otherwise nothing.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by hawks70
I use a very thin layer of silicone on BOTH sides of the gasket with just a little dollop on the ends of the rubber seal where it overlaps the cork. I've never had an issue with the gasket "wrinkling" so I don't think I'll need to try the Powerblock TV trick... but I would if needed.

The KEY to sealing a cork gasket is to NOT over torque it. If you gorrilla grip those bolts it WILL leak. All you need is a speed handle and just enough tight to see the gasket begin to move outward. I go every other one until snug, all the way around. Then I hit the four corners, then all around until I get just barely a little movement out the side.

Felpro kit does NOT require sealer, and they recommend you don't use any on that little paper inside the box.

BRAND NEW timing covers are available at www.gmpartsdirect.com part number 22525282. Or just take that number to a GM dealer and they will order it for you. (print out the GM parts direct price or they will charge you retail for it) Or find a used one. Every Olds V-8 from 1964 330's up until late 80's 307's have the SAME timing cover. There are still thousands of used ones available... I just gave one to a member here last week. And when it comes to sealing it, I use Permatex (formerly Indian Head) gasket shellac on both sides of the paper gasket.

Did I miss anything?

John

Last edited by Eightupman; December 5th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 70442rag
On a recent episode of Power Block TV this past weekend (350 Olds build), they showed the Technician applying a sealer onto the block side of the pan gasket. They then left the pan sitting on top of the gasket without torquing it down for several hours. The rationale was that this will eliminate any ripples in the gasket material thereafter. Try Fusick Automotive or Dick Miller Racing for the timing cover. Good Luck!
Not to run this thread into a tangent, but I loved thier definition of budget build with $1400 Edelbrock heads... lol They easily spent $5000 on that motor... probably more. Budget build to most of us is like $2000 (or less)
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! This has really been an experience I'd say. This is more what I'd call a rebuild than a restore. Fortunately found a solid Texas car to start with. Body very good with exception of driver side quarter panel and the usual rear window leak. When I first started this four years ago I started with putting a windshield in, gutted the interior, had a friend recover the seats, changed all the interior panels from gold to black, then replaced all the shocks, far springs, tie rods and the entire brake system except for the power booster, which works fine. At that point I changed all the fluids, gave it a tune up, and then after sitting since 92 I got to enjoy driving it for one summer. That was 2 years ago. Had a ball going to cruise nights and all that. Even took it and entered the Syracuse Nationals that year. What a blast. Been dreaming of having something of my own to take there since I was a kid. Its almost back together and I'm really getting excited again. Gonna get it done this winter and be ready to get her back out of the garage as soon as the weather will allow. Come on spring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-20110609-00165.jpg (213.7 KB, 26 views)
In the beginning.jpg (10.3 KB, 22 views)
IMG-20110609-00168.jpg (203.9 KB, 26 views)
IMG00288.jpg (60.9 KB, 29 views)