Rallye 350 abnormal rough idle

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM

Rallye 350 abnormal rough idle

RE: '70 Rallye 350

Hi everyone,

Before I list everything that I've done to try to get the idle less rough, let me describe the situation as specifically as possible.

*Abnormally-rough warm idle to where the entire car shakes (rather violently) in gear, less rough out of gear, and smoothes-out beautifully when idle is slightly raised. Outside of the idle issue, the throttle response is phenomenal, and it runs like a top. It just acts like a milkshake machine at idle.*

I've done the following:
  1. Replaced points, condenser, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air/fuel filters, set initial timing @ 7, & set dwell @ 32.
  2. Carb. rebuilt.
  3. Intake gasket replaced.
  4. All vacuum hoses replaced.
I thought that maybe a previous owner may've put a lumpier cam in, but I have a pro-gas 468 Olds with a 542/560 hydraulic flat-tappet with a 286/292 duration on a 112 lobe, and it didn't shake as violently as this Rallye does. Furthermore, a radical cam wouldn't necessarily make a car violently shake as the cam characteristics eminate from the exhaust, not the engine. Since the exhaust is bolted to the car with rubbber hangers, and the engoine secured more-directly with motor mounts, wouldn't the car would be much less-susceptible to the effects of a hefty cam, and more responsive to an engine malfunction/misfire, perhaps?

I'm going to do a compression test next, but my only other thought is whether a leaky exhaust system would cause this rough idle? Almost half the exhaust is escaping before the muffler, and the mufflers themselves have holes in them. I tried the dollar-bill trick at the tailpipe, but I don't think enough exhaust is coming out to determine if I have a burnt valve; if that would be a contributor to such a violent idle.

Also, maybe it's fickle crack in the intake or near a vacuum source?

I look forward to whatever any of you can suggest; as this car is an 86k survivor, and a blast to drive, I just can't keep a topless can of pop in the car...

-Christian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.JPG (64.4 KB, 13 views)
008.JPG (58.7 KB, 15 views)
005.JPG (61.8 KB, 6 views)
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Did your engine run like this before the tuneup? It could be numerous things but I would check the idle mixture screws and check for vacuum leaks first. Got a vacuum gauge? If so, what's it pulling?
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:02 PM

Maybe

split motor mounts?
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:45 PM

DoubleV: Yes. Actually, it ran rougher before I did these things. I've already adjusted the mixture screws as well as identified all vacuum leaks (the biggest ones were around the intake, shich I replaced). I'll throw the vacuum gauge back on it tomorrow as post what I'm pulling.

boese1978: I did not check that. But that does raise a question; I thought that split motor mounts would only cause the motor itself to abnormally shake, and not the entire car...
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I'm going to suggest setting your dwell at 30, bump your timing to 10 maybe more if it will take it. Then reset your A/F and idle to it's liking.