Radiator Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:43 PM

Radiator Recommendations

Hi everyone.

I've got a '67 Cutlass Supreme with a 330 that was rebuilt about 4 years ago. When I rebuilt it I replaced the radiator (which was pretty beat) with an aluminum radiator. Now that radiator is leaking badly. I've had some folks tell me you're not meant to run an aluminum radiator in these older cars. Is this true?

What do you all have for recommendations on a new radiator? Doing the labour myself.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:19 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You can run an aluminum radiator. You have to measure the core and modifications may need to be done to mounts and the shroud. Champion makes a good radiator, get either the two core with 1" cores or their 4 core. Just double check core width.
http://shop.championcooling.com/1966...rch=Oldsmobile
http://shop.championcooling.com/1967...rch=Oldsmobile
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:27 PM

Any ideas on why the last one has gone bad so quickly?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:33 PM
Administrator

People have been using aluminum radiators in these car for some time with no issues. What brand radiator was installed that cracked. Could it have been installed wrong or perhaps poor quality welds.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:44 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Dune67
Any ideas on why the last one has gone bad so quickly?
Some just do, do you know which brand? I have a 2 core aluminum rad that leaked between the cores, basically unfixable, started maybe a year later. Cooled great but leaked. I used stop leak and a 7 psi cap, which does help a lot. No leaks now but barely cools an Olds 260 on the highway. The Griffin rads can be hit or miss for leaks but cool extremely well due to dual 1.25" cores. I had my Champion 3 core rad for years until it burnt in a fire with no leakage issues, a few others also had good luck. Their 3 core was marginal cooling with an Olds 403 in a G body, 195 to 205. Another member has a 10 to 1 403 with a Champion 4 core, never gets above 180, which why I recommend the large 2 core or 4 core. The 4 core is a very thick radiator.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 06:54 PM

The brand is an ECP (Engineered Cooling Products) with a 16 psi cap. I don't recall the exact specs of it but it wasn't much thicker than my old copper-brass core, I was able to fit it in the old mounts. The engine was rebuilt with a hot cam and bored/stroked to a 339.9 so it runs a bit hotter than it used to but nothing crazy.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Says they have a limited lifetime warranty, the last radiator you will ever buy.
http://www.speedcooling.com/1968-197...-Radiator.html
Old March 3rd, 2018, 06:35 AM

I used an AFCO aluminum radiator in my 69 GTO for years and never had a problem. It cooled my 671 blown 427 chevy just fine for over 15 years with nary a problem. They also make custom fan setups to fit.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...440-4-558-2172
Old March 4th, 2018, 05:49 AM

I just put an aluminum radiator in my Vista Cruiser. Its the Summit house brand (Northern) It cools great and a good price $294.00) I had to do a few minor mods to make fit correctly.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

I've had really great success with the Champion in other vehicles, I was going to call Monday to order one for my stroker build
Old March 7th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Thank you everyone. Shipping it back to ECP to see if they’ll send a new on.
Old March 8th, 2018, 05:24 AM

I actually just spoke to one of our members; cdrod, about the Champion radiator in his Olds. He is currently building it so he didn't have much to say about the performance. He did mention that they had good customer service though.
Old March 8th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Thank you everyone. Shipping it back to ECP to see if they’ll send a new on.
Let us know what happens.
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Rodney

Champion CC161 Radiator for sale

Dune 67:
I have a brand new Champion radiator for sale part# CC161 if you can't get a replacement from ECP. I'm very happy with the construction of this radiator, the welds look good, the filler neck and hose tube are very strong. I can't comment on the cooling performance because my car is not running just yet, but I did a lot of research and read many posts and reviews from people who had good luck with this brand. Champion radiators have an extra port where you can screw in a sacrificial anode to help control electrolysis, which can destroy a radiator from the inside out in just a few years time. This is probably what happened to your ECP radiator. Here's pic and a link to my for sale thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tor-150-a.html

Last edited by cdrod; March 10th, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old March 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Here's a link to radiators for you.
http://www.usradiator.com/catalogsea...mobile+cutlass
Old July 1st, 2020, 12:56 PM

Just an update on this (after 2 years). ECP sent a new radiator that has already started leaking again. Is there anything I could've done wrong to install it? Also, I found out that the previous ECP radiator that I replaced leaked coolant into the transmission lines and ruined the seals on my transmission which was a huge drag.

At this point I'm likely going to buy a copper/brass radiator from US Radiator.
Old July 1st, 2020, 02:21 PM

Just an update on this (after 2 years). ECP sent a new radiator that has already started leaking again. Is there anything I could've done wrong to install it?
While it's possible, I don't think it's very likely. Where is it leaking?

I also had a trans cooler spring a leak but on mine apparently the trans was higher pressure than the radiator as trans fluid got into the coolant but no coolant got into the trans fluid. I think I was using a 7 psi radiator cap at that time. Boy did that stuff make a mess in the cooling system - lots of sludge that was difficult to remove.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:45 PM

That that sounds like a huge mess. Can't imagine which would be worse.

Are the radiator caps designed to pop off when they exceed their designated pressure?

Current radiator is leaking from the opposite side of the cap, along the seem near the top under where the hose fits in.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 01:26 PM

Are the radiator caps designed to pop off when they exceed their designated pressure?
Well, the whole cap doesn't pop off, but yes, the inner sealing disc is pressed upwards, thereby opening so the excessive pressure is released.

Last edited by Fun71; July 2nd, 2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old April 8th, 2021, 07:50 PM

as with everything else on our car, nothing was stock or "drop-in".....

We used a 4 core brass/copper radiator from a chevy truck that has a 28" wide core and is ~17.5" tall. This fits the factory height requirement, and it is slightly wider than stock at the tank mount saddles being 28", but, it gave the ability to get an affordable 4 core at the time. This required cutting and re-welding the steel rubber saddle mounts welded to the core support and the upper radiator shroud/top plate to be moved over, and also adding steel in the center of them to extend to fit the wider chevy truck rubber U saddles that support the tanks/cores.

We had aftermarket Griffin aluminum 2 core radiators in 2 other cars and they didn't ever cool as well as this brass/copper 4 core. I have had this Modine Brass/copper radiator for 26 years now, and it was the one mounted in my 1980 Delta 88 when I had my 455 in it. I remember ordering and buying it from Western Auto when I was 16 years old.... It cooled my 455 well in my old Delta with a Clutch fan.

Going to be running an electric setup pushing 3500cfm plus this time.... another huge key to actually making a radiator work.

I will share my experience and recommendations for the cooling fans I find effective once I have proved them out.

Old April 8th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Problem with a Copper Brass rad is finding one as well designed as stock that isn't very expensive. Also how many rad shops are still around to recore one, very few. I am surprised your Griffin rads didn't leak, a lot of issues from them. Were they the dual 1 1/4" cores? A lot of aftermarket fans are very optimistic in their ratings. Factory fans from modern cars usually draw big amps and move a lot of air.
Old April 9th, 2021, 08:17 AM

For what its worth, I remember listening to a podcast Under the hood and the topic was radiator leaks. They talked about electrolysis of engine components due to improper engine/chassis grounds. Possible avenue for you to check?