Questions on Rebuilt 350 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM

Questions on Rebuilt 350 Purchase

So recently my engine kind of took a crap on me. Was thinking about rebuilding my engine, but deicided I want it on the road quicker than that. Was shopping around for engines and I came across a guy with a oldsmobile 350 engine that is freshly rebuilt from the ground up. Think there is also a few mods like a mild cam. Im assuming the engine is also 68-70 because the compression ratio is 9:1. Anyways the engine is blueprinted and balanced. Its a long block that comes with valve covers, oil pan, timing plate, and intake manifold. The guy is wanting $2200 for the engine. Was wondering if this is a good buy? I realize this is barely any information on the engine and I plan on getting the specs tomorrow. But how much does a full rebuild from the ground up on a olds 350 normally cost? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Seems high to me. You need to verify that it really is 68-70. What heads are on it. Should be 5's or 6's. How much work was done to the heads? Has it been run since the rebuild. It may be worth the money but there are a lot of questions to ask. Off the cuff, I think it is high.
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM

Yeah I think it's a bit high too.

Pending on the cam that's in it and which heads are on it.

If it's got 5, 6, or 7a heads, with a 3 angle valve job and is a 395558 ID 2 block, I'd say $1700 at the most
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Last rebuild I did on an olds engine was $2200 alone for the machine work and rebuild kit, not coming anywhere close to intake, valve covers, and oil pan. If it was rebuilt, try not to assume that because of CR that makes it a certain year, simple piston changes can bump that up no sweat on any year, try to get cast numbers.
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by SPEEDROCKET
Last rebuild I did on an olds engine was $2200 alone for the machine work and rebuild kit, not coming anywhere close to intake, valve covers, and oil pan. If it was rebuilt, try not to assume that because of CR that makes it a certain year, simple piston changes can bump that up no sweat on any year, try to get cast numbers.
X2. I did one 2 years ago, Aftermarket pistons, rods etc. Balanced, #5 heads bigger valves, filled crossovers etc., you get the picture. With carb and manifold he had almost 4K in it.

Anytime you buy anything used it's a gamble. Does he have reciepts? If you can hear it run and it has good oil pressure etc. offer him 2k and see what he says.
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM

I think it is really high, unless it is built with nice parts, and comes with a warranty.
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:33 AM

I'm calling it in the fair to bargain range IF it is COMPETENTLY rebuilt w/ reasonable quality parts in block & heads. You would be very hard pressed to do decent rebuild (stock) for anything much near $2k. Determining quality of work & parts is the tricky part, I would probably want to see some receipts. In absence of docs, a valve cover removal, maybe an intake removal & a proctology scope in concert w/ knowlege of Olds engine innards would help one consider whether to take the gamble or not. If anything smells funny, walk away.

Offer $2k as you exercise caveat emptor. Ronnie said it best, "Trust, but verify."
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the input guys. The engine was completely tore down and replaced with quality parts. The engine was done by a guy off of the show Overhaulin. Im gonna go take a look at the engine right now and try and get some numbers.
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM

got these numbers off the engine. 395558 just means its a 350 block. Also, above the exhaust manifold was 409147 and a 7 on the left side. So, if im not mistaken the engine has #7 heads and is correct for a 1971? I own a 1971 cutlass supreme. The compression was changed I was told by changing the pistons. I dont know if it still has #7 heads or not.. I told my mechanic to get the specs from the guy on the engine before he does it. Hopefully Ill see them this afternoon.
Old November 5th, 2010, 01:54 AM

395558 is a 1968 to 1974 350 which is good

Yes you can change CR by changing pistons
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by erke88
Thanks for the input guys. The engine was completely tore down and replaced with quality parts. The engine was done by a guy off of the show Overhaulin. Im gonna go take a look at the engine right now and try and get some numbers.
I used to watch that show all the time. Seems even if they had a crate motor whenever they tried to get them started they always shot flames out of the carb or something. Not sure if that was for drama or if they really didn't know what they were doing.

I remember the last Olds they did. They put a SBC in it. I quit watching it then.