Quadrajet problems

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2016, 07:16 AM

Quadrajet problems

71 olds with a 77 350 4 barrel quadrajet. I rebuilt the carb, first time took pics and video followed the instructions to a tee. Cleaned the heck out of everything. Put it back on put gas in and it started right up, no pops stumbles or backfiring. Let the car sit for a few days won't start unless I pour gas down the carb. It stays running I can drive it around the block and it idles great. I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, adjusted the choke and it all works great. I'm guessing the float bowls are emptying when it's not running but I figure if that's happening then it should start after cranking it for a min or so, but it doesn't start.
Old May 26th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NJRob
71 olds with a 77 350 4 barrel quadrajet. I rebuilt the carb, first time took pics and video followed the instructions to a tee. Cleaned the heck out of everything. Put it back on put gas in and it started right up, no pops stumbles or backfiring. Let the car sit for a few days won't start unless I pour gas down the carb. It stays running I can drive it around the block and it idles great. I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, adjusted the choke and it all works great. I'm guessing the float bowls are emptying when it's not running but I figure if that's happening then it should start after cranking it for a min or so, but it doesn't start.
Must be the start of summer heat - there have been a bunch of the same question in the last couple of weeks. Bottom line is that today's gas evaporates more quickly, causing this problem. If the check valves in your fuel pump are getting weak and/or leaking, it can be difficult to get fuel to start flowing again. Also, does your fuel filter have a check valve in it or not? Is it installed in the right direction? Do any of the rubber hoses on the suction side of the pump have cracks that could cause an air leak? All of these can cause the pump to take a long time to fill the float bowl on the carb.

This is unfortunately not uncommon today if the car is not driven regularly.
Old February 7th, 2021, 03:04 PM

Does the noise get lauded if you turn the wheels = p/s pump
Old February 7th, 2021, 04:24 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by leftlaneonly
Does the noise get lauded if you turn the wheels = p/s pump

huh???
Old February 9th, 2021, 06:03 AM

I just read that ... and sorry I can't explain it Think I had a brain fart
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Also the original post was in 2016. Hopefully the problem is resolved by now.