Q jet rebuilders

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:22 AM

Q jet rebuilders

A co-worker needs his rebuilt, Who is a good place to send it off to?
I would offer to do it, but No time now that racing season is started.
Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
A co-worker needs his rebuilt, Who is a good place to send it off to?
I would offer to do it, but No time now that racing season is started.
Thanks.
I used John Herald Jr. The communication was excellent, the price was fair, the turn around was quick, and the final product performs flawlessly

He's Eightupman on CO but rarely is checks in here anymore. If you'd like his contact info, PM me

Last edited by allyolds68; February 22nd, 2023 at 04:31 AM.
Old May 10th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I used John Herald Jr. The communication was excellent, the price was fair, the turn around was quick, and the final product performs flawlessly

He's Eightupman on CO but rarely is checks in here anymore. If you'd like his contact info, PM me
I have the same need. I'll PM you. Thanks
Old May 10th, 2023, 06:07 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

https://www.everyday-performance.com/

Great option for any level rebuild - Can custom suit to actual engine specs if a performance build is needed
Old May 11th, 2023, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
https://www.everyday-performance.com/

Great option for any level rebuild - Can custom suit to actual engine specs if a performance build is needed
NO HE DOESN’T!!!!!!! All he does is modify the idle circuit for more cam. He fvcked up the secondary tab on a carb for one of my engine builds. Then I asked him about secondary settings and idle tubes. He wanted me to keep sending the carb back and forth for trial
and error AT MY EXPENSE!!. He’s clueless when it comes to what a combination really needs.
Old May 11th, 2023, 05:58 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Well, I definitely know better than to debate ANYTHING Oldsmobile with you (especially since I still want my stored 455 built by you at some point) but I can say the Qjet he did for me is going 5 years strong on my 350 and it did wake the motor up compared to the stock part I sent him. It was just about perfectly set up right out of the box, only had to adjust the mix screws.

I did have a prior WTF experience with Q*** Power though, which resulted in a similar experience to yours and subsequently a completely worthless anchor now buried away somewhere in my garage for the last 6 years....
Old May 11th, 2023, 06:21 AM

Harold Demes out in Vail, Arizona. Retired GM engineer and carb replater and Q-jet rebuilder. Holleys and Carters too. He sorta specializes in older Corvette carb restorations/rebuilds but can do pretty much any of the older carbs.

He's not a fan of CCC electronic carbs so I don't think he touches those except for replating parts, but I stripped my factory 85 442 carb down to parade rest and had him refinish all the pieces parts for me and rebush the primaries. I reassembled it myself. TBH, I find the E-jets are about the same amount of effort to rebuild, so I don't know why he doesn't like doing them. He's got several Youtube videos out there. Pretty informative.

Anyway, if interested, his email is chucknorbid@gmail.com

Here's what he did to mine-

Bench adjusted/set and ready to dial in on the car.

Old May 11th, 2023, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68

x 2 for John Herald jr..if you want his contact info PM me.
Old May 11th, 2023, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
x 2 for John Herald jr..if you want his contact info PM me.
Yep, I had some dealings with JHJ and he was superb to deal with. I can't say enough good about him. Now I haven't had a carb rebuilt by him but he was fantastic to deal with for sales. I'm sure his work is top notch.
Old May 11th, 2023, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 70sgeek
Well, I definitely know better than to debate ANYTHING Oldsmobile with you (especially since I still want my stored 455 built by you at some point) but I can say the Qjet he did for me is going 5 years strong on my 350 and it did wake the motor up compared to the stock part I sent him. It was just about perfectly set up right out of the box, only had to adjust the mix screws.

I did have a prior WTF experience with Q*** Power though, which resulted in a similar experience to yours and subsequently a completely worthless anchor now buried away somewhere in my garage for the last 6 years....
I don’t doubt it may have run better. However have you put an air/fuel meter on it m to see where it’s at here and there? He’s done three for my customers and once on the dyno NONE of them were even close. One even had packing peanuts in it once we opened it up.
I’d bet yours isn’t as close you may think either, just sayin.

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 11th, 2023 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 11th, 2023, 07:52 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Everyday Performance did one for me, he did an OK job. The idle circuits were much closer than the smog 403 calibration. But I ended up having choke issues with it sticking on, a year or so afterwards, it was damaged where the coil housing connected, caused binding, kept getting worse. He sent me parts for free. A 4MC choke housing and linkage is different, wouldn't work. A washer was the stop gap, used a housing off my Dualjet to fix it for good. I rebuilt it when the float started sticking. I measured everything, looked good against Cliff Ruggles recommendations in his book. I ordered parts from Cliff and mentioned that Everyday Performance built this carb. He didn't have anything good to say, said he like to bend the heck out of the power piston hanger and found other issues. Cliff is very knowledgeable, wasn't sure if it was a competition thing or incompetence.
Old May 12th, 2023, 02:03 PM

Ken at Everyday ground the tab that limits how far the secondary flaps open. Does anyone know WHY they don’t open at or near 90*? Apparently Ken doesn’t either.
Old May 12th, 2023, 02:20 PM

You will quickly find that no carb rebuilder ever has anything good to say about other carb rebuilders unless they're buddies. No exceptions. Period. Literally Jesus himself could have rebuilt your carb and these guys would be like "now see, look at all that JB weld slathered on there. Your so called "rebuilt" carb has been worked on by an amateur....DO NOT put that carb on your engine. Don't say I didn't warn you! Look at all those Philips head screws!"

Old May 12th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Ken at Everyday ground the tab that limits how far the secondary flaps open. Does anyone know WHY they don’t open at or near 90*? Apparently Ken doesn’t either.
You usually just bend it to adjust it. If you do accidentally break it, you can drill tap to add a small bolt to make adjustable. It did that on my current Qjet, works great. Supposedly the maximum open distance is 1.270", what Edelbrock used on their 850 cfm RPM version.
Old May 12th, 2023, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
You usually just bend it to adjust it.
Correct. But he took a file or a Dremel to it. A bit harder to adjust when you have almost nothing to bend.
Old May 12th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Not for nothing, but jet and rod changes should be expected with any carb when tuning on the dyno. It doesn't matter who built the carb. It's the nature of the beast. Anyone who simply bolts a carb on without final tuning it is leaving lots of power and driveability on the table.
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:27 PM

did a good stock rebuild for me.. 5 Stars

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

Old May 13th, 2023, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
Not for nothing, but jet and rod changes should be expected with any carb when tuning on the dyno. It doesn't matter who built the carb. It's the nature of the beast. Anyone who simply bolts a carb on without final tuning it is leaving lots of power and driveability on the table.
^^^^^^^^^