Power Steering Pump Belt

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Power Steering Pump Belt

Replaced my power steering pump belt with a new shorter one as the one that was on it when I bought it was too lose and long. I put the new one on and pulled the pump back by hand not giving it much slack. Start the car and still getting the squealing sound from it. Pull the belt off drove it with no power steering just to make sure it was nothing else. No sound. Belt back on again. Fairly tight and still getting that squealing sound when I step on it. I was told by a mechanic that I needed a pry bar to get it very tight. Is that true? Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:02 PM

The tightness of a fan belt is not measured by the tool used to tighten it. It's measured by the deflection in the belt at a point half-way between pulleys. The rule I've always heard and used is no more than a 1/2-inch deflection at a point half way between pulleys. Having said this, I always use something more than my hands and arms to pull the pump or alternator or whatever hard enough against the belt to get the required tension. I can't do that AND have the freedom to tight the bolt at the same time. I don't have enough hands or strength. Depending on what space is available, I do use either a wide-blade crowbar, making sure to lever it against something that can't be damaged, like a bracket (not a pump or alternator itself), or a 2x4 piece of wood.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:05 PM
same but different

Don't pry on the reservoir or risk bending or damaging it. I believe there are two bolts to loosen then tighten. Get someone to help if you can. I have only two arms and sometimes a third is needed.

Old May 5th, 2020, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The tightness of a fan belt is not measured by the tool used to tighten it. It's measured by the deflection in the belt at a point half-way between pulleys. The rule I've always heard and used is no more than a 1/2-inch deflection at a point half way between pulleys. Having said this, I always use something more than my hands and arms to pull the pump or alternator or whatever hard enough against the belt to get the required tension. I can't do that AND have the freedom to tight the bolt at the same time. I don't have enough hands or strength. Depending on what space is available, I do use either a wide-blade crowbar, making sure to lever it against something that can't be damaged, like a bracket (not a pump or alternator itself), or a 2x4 piece of wood.
Thank you. I’ll try with a pry bar.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Don't pry on the reservoir or risk bending or damaging it. I believe there are two bolts to loosen then tighten. Get someone to help if you can. I have only two arms and sometimes a third is needed.

Thanks for the suggestion and picture. I’ll need a pry bar.
Old May 6th, 2020, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by don71

That's a really excellent picture Don! I've never seen a pic with the pulley out of the way. I can't tell you how many (lots) of times I have replaced belts on these Olds and never knew about that tab to use to pry against with the screwdriver blade. I am guilty of prying against the reservoir- I've been lucky but now I know better!!
Old May 6th, 2020, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's the text that goes with that photo of the pump:

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

And FYI, this is yet another example of why people should actually read the CSM, where it tells you about this tab and how to use it to adjust the PS belt tension.
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Here's the text that goes with that photo of the pump:

There are THREE fasteners that you need to loosen to adjust the belt, the two bolts on the front and the one nut at the bottom rear of the pump. Once you loosen all three, use a large screwdriver as a pry bar and insert it between the nose of the pump and the tab on the bracket, between the pulley and the bracket. The photo shows the proper position of the screwdriver with the pulley removed for clarity. Use the screwdriver to tension the belt while tightening the two bolts on the front, then get the nut on the back. Failure to do this properly is why there are frequent posts about belts squealing.

And FYI, this is yet another example of why people should actually read the CSM, where it tells you about this tab and how to use it to adjust the PS belt tension.
Thanks. I'm use to Fox Body Mustangs that have belt tensioners lol.
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:48 AM
same but different

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
That's a really excellent picture Don! I've never seen a pic with the pulley out of the way. I can't tell you how many (lots) of times I have replaced belts on these Olds and never knew about that tab to use to pry against with the screwdriver blade. I am guilty of prying against the reservoir- I've been lucky but now I know better!!
Hi Greg. That isn't my picture. I used the search function and found it here on this site. As Joe said, The manual clearly states how to do it. Maybe I should open it up more often, rather than go by memory.
Old May 7th, 2020, 05:56 AM

Who looks at a CSM when your're working as a flat rate mechanic. You figure out what works and do it. Then when the next Olds comes in you do it the same. Now 40 yrs later I know how to do it correctly!! I guess I've been lucky over the years....