Post Tune Up Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2009 | 10:30 PM

Post Tune Up Issues

Ok, just seeing if anyone has any idea what's going on with my '85 Toro. I just replaced all the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor in the 307. It drives excellent, I mean beyond smooth, idle and everything. However it's been taking longer to start (cold starts) than normal. Usually a couple of prime pumps and she will crank over fairly quick...now it takes at least 3 plus giving it gas while I crank. Not sure if something went wrong somewhere. Again, after it's started it runs perfect.

I put in Bosch Plat + plugs, BWD wires, Niehoff cap and rotor. I did the plugs and wires first so I'm thinking maybe it was when I did the cap and rotor that something went wrong.

Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2009 | 05:20 AM

I think not.
Try a new accelerator pump in the q-jet, AND, most important, sealing the well plugs.
The well plugs are where drilling operations done by the mfg on the bottom side of the main body, and are sealed up by little round machined steel plugs, into stepped holes in the zinc main casting body, and the step is folded over the outside edge of the plug. You can see this on ALL Chevy q-jets, by the fuel inlet. They can leak. When this happens, it will drain the float bowl of fuel, and it will not start right off when cold.
Re-build kits have little black foamy things that fit the secondary well plugs, but they will not last more than a couple of years. J-B weld, and other epoxies will deteriorate also, due to the oxygenated fuels we have. Lightly tapping the round lip with a SMALL hammer, AND using some J-B weld, AND the little black foamy things from the rebuild kit may work for another 10 years. Quadra-ets are notorious for these items.
This is strictkly a Carburetor problem, unique to the quadrajet.
NOTHING to do with your tune-up.
Co-incidence, or a fluke.
Jim in Phx

Last edited by Warhead; May 30th, 2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old May 30th, 2009 | 08:16 AM
Geezer

I would agree 100% with Warhead's analysis. Has to be a carburetor problem. This problem is not just a Q-Jet problem, same type of thing happens with Motorcraft 4350 and 4350D carburetors, though I believe they are more prone to Oxygenated fuels literally eating them alive.

Today's fuels are ruining all our old carburetors with their caustic injector cleaners combined with Oxygenation.
Old May 30th, 2009 | 08:39 AM

Ah ok...thank you for the info. I'm not familiar at all with carb stuff...I'll have to read up! I had to have the 2 bbl rebuilt on my 85 Cutlass 231...it had roughly the same mileage as my Toro does now. I should probably buy that book on the Rochesters I guess...is this hard stuff to do?
Old May 31st, 2009 | 08:56 AM

Carb stuff not hard to do with good info/manuals, patience required. IMO get rid of those bosch plugs & install AC.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:07 AM

Yeah I will have to get a manual. The Bosch plugs are awesome...I had AC ones in their and the car has much better acceleration now...very responsive. Plus I could walk in and buy them...the AC plugs I had to mail order...I didn't want to wait a week to get them.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Ah ok...thank you for the info. I'm not familiar at all with carb stuff...I'll have to read up! I had to have the 2 bbl rebuilt on my 85 Cutlass 231...it had roughly the same mileage as my Toro does now. I should probably buy that book on the Rochesters I guess...is this hard stuff to do?
No it's not, unless you panic or something because it's not what you expected.
And you know what? just for the heck of getting a little practice go to the boneyard and pull a carb or 2 out. Don't buy em. Just take them apart and put them back together so you can get the feel of it B4 you do your own. It will give you a better comfort zone with working on yours. Oh, and one more thing. When you do your own, have your work area CLEAN and lay out your parts in a pattern that matches how they came apart.

Once you're ready to go, get a rebuild kit and away you go.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:56 AM

Sounds good Allan, thank you! I usually research a project to death before I start anything. I like to know exactly what I'm doing. I'll have to see what kind of rebuild kits I can find around town.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 10:16 AM

I found some rebuild kits and they all list my model of carb as a E4MC...I assume this is correct? My car is at the upholstery shop so I can't look at it