Original 350 What issues to look for?

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Original 350 What issues to look for?

I will be purchasing a 1970 Olds Cutlass S with the original 350 motor in it with 52,000 miles on it.

What issues should I be aware of that might need to be corrected in order to make this motor reliable enough to be my daily driver?

Are the original heads going to be able to handle the various octanes of pump gas or do I need to stick to one?

I run synthetic oils in all my vehicles but have been told it can raise havoc on the gaskets and cause leaks; is there any truth to that?

I am sorry I do not have any engine or head codes at the moment. I am just looking for some general advice to get me heading in the right direction once I get my hands on the car.

Thanks
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by defiant1
I will be purchasing a 1970 Olds Cutlass S with the original 350 motor in it with 52,000 miles on it.

What issues should I be aware of that might need to be corrected in order to make this motor reliable enough to be my daily driver?

Are the original heads going to be able to handle the various octanes of pump gas or do I need to stick to one?

I run synthetic oils in all my vehicles but have been told it can raise havoc on the gaskets and cause leaks; is there any truth to that?

I am sorry I do not have any engine or head codes at the moment. I am just looking for some general advice to get me heading in the right direction once I get my hands on the car.

Thanks
If the engine is all stock and in good condition, you shouldn't need to do anything to make it a reliable driver. Be sure all vacuum lines are in good shape. Consider doing a leakdown test to gauge the internal condition of the engine. I always change all fluids and filters as soon as I get a car, just to be sure. You'll want to install a new timing chain and gears at around 80,000 miles.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Past Administrator

I was going to say put fuel in it and drive it. A simplistic answer but one that conveys the thought that there is no magic to the older engines, just a little common sense and preventive maintenance as Joe has said.

edit:
As a testimony to my statement I did what Joe recommends to my '77 with less than 40,000 miles on it when I bought it a few years ago and all I do is fill er up with 87 octane fuel and go, no problems, no pains.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If the engine is all stock and in good condition, you shouldn't need to do anything to make it a reliable driver. Be sure all vacuum lines are in good shape. Consider doing a leakdown test to gauge the internal condition of the engine. I always change all fluids and filters as soon as I get a car, just to be sure. You'll want to install a new timing chain and gears at around 80,000 miles.

Fluids and filters will be replaced. Planning on running synthetic and issues with this?
I did read about the leakdown test and will be doing that as well.

Thanks for the input.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by defiant1
Fluids and filters will be replaced. Planning on running synthetic and issues with this?
I did read about the leakdown test and will be doing that as well.

Thanks for the input.
I'll be honest, I've never seen the need for synthetic. I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles, using good quality oil and filters (Castrol GTX and AC Delco PF24 filters).
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone, these are things I will need to know when I purchase my cutlass as well

Ben