Opinion on SBO Composite Intake Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Opinion on SBO Composite Intake Gaskets

So I am looking for a Composite(non-metal) type Intake Gasket for my 1979 350 engine

What make and type(item) do you think seals the best? like SCE Accuseal etc

Fred
Old October 26th, 2020, 06:46 AM

They're all basically the same. I personally don't like the silicone bead ones as I still had leaks when leaving those bare. So I buy the cheapest - base SCE ones - spray copper coat on the intake ports and RTV on the water.
Note that if you haven't used these before, there's a couple of important notes.
IF your exhaust crossover is open, make sure to cut the hole in the gaskets. Also, make sure to do something to keep oil off the bottom of the intake or else it'll burn and cake up the valley. The only thing that worked for me is using the non-port section of a turkey tray.

If your exhaust crossover is blocked - and note that I managed to blow holes through various "guaranteed to work" shim stock - then there's nothing special. RTV on the end rails and throw away the cork end gaskets they provide.
Old October 26th, 2020, 03:42 PM

In the past I used the Mr. Gasket 405G and they worked fine. I didn't cut a hole for the exhaust crossover and the engine did it for me, burned right through both gaskets.
Most recently (ha! 10 years ago or so) I used the Mr Gasket Ultra-Seal III 4694G and they have held up very well. I think they were discontinued a while back, but luckily I have 2 sets in the garage for future use.
Old October 26th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

There can also be the issue of their added thickness. If the heads have been cut, they won't fit. I could not use the Ultraseal composite intake gaskets on a stock 76 350, still had shim head gaskets, with a Performer intake. I also tried using them with slightly milled #6 heads, also too thick. I liked the SCE gaskets with the beads but used RTV around the water ports as a precaution. They barely fit on a 403 with .040" head gaskets and #8 heads and a RPM intake, nothing milled.