Olds diesel block "D" versus "DX"?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:46 PM

Olds diesel block "D" versus "DX"?

I have an opportunity to pick up a diesel block from a friend. Does it make any difference whether it is a "D" versus "DX"? I believe the main journal size on the D is smaller but isn't it possible to line hone the journals on the D block to the larger size on the DX if that is what you want? I have a couple 425 cranks and could build a nice stroker at a later date I suppose. Is one block any more desirable than the other? Lastly, approx what should I expect to pay for it?
Thanks in advance for your comments!
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The real difference is the DX had the larger and more expensive .921" lifters, roller to be exact. The mains should be the same size. Some of the D blocks didn't have the main bolt holes tapped deep enough and had issues. Someone had pics that showed their D block actually had slightly thicker main webs. Either one with properly drilled and tapped 4 bolt studs and caps will take just about anything you can throw at it.
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
The real difference is the DX had the larger and more expensive .921" lifters, roller to be exact. The mains should be the same size. Some of the D blocks didn't have the main bolt holes tapped deep enough and had issues. Someone had pics that showed their D block actually had slightly thicker main webs. Actually the DX had thicker main webs. Either one with properly drilled and tapped 4 bolt studs and caps will take just about anything you can throw at it.
I'll have a 4.00" stroke crank available by the end of the summer that will fit in a gas block. The 2.500" mains will offer an advantage over the larger 425/DX style setup.
And I've sonic checked multiple gas and diesel blocks. The main difference in cyl wall thickness comes on the thrust side, which is important. However the non thrust sides are nearly equal between the two, and that will dictate how much you can ultimately bore it.
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I'll have a 4.00" stroke crank available by the end of the summer that will fit in a gas block. The 2.500" mains will offer an advantage over the larger 425/DX style setup.
And I've sonic checked multiple gas and diesel blocks. The main difference in cyl wall thickness comes on the thrust side, which is important. However the non thrust sides are nearly equal between the two, and that will dictate how much you can ultimately bore it.
Listen to Mark on this one. That makes sense and I may be wrong.
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Thanks 307 & Mark for your responses! I got a price of $250 which seems reasonable. I will likely pick it up and add it to the ever growing collection of Olds engines scattered under my porch, in the shed, at a friend's house and in my garage....worse case scenario is if she complains bitterly and asks me to pare down, hopefully I can get my $$ back out of it...