Olds 307 exhaust manifold gasket tips

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 07:15 PM
80's Olds Club

Olds 307 exhaust manifold gasket tips

Any tips on replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on my delta 88? i've searched the web but haven t found any vids or pics of similar engines (maybe i wasn't looking hard enough)
any tips and suggestions would help, jut trying to keep the old girl running happy

thanks
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vyse
Any tips on replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on my delta 88? i've searched the web but haven t found any vids or pics of similar engines (maybe i wasn't looking hard enough)
any tips and suggestions would help, jut trying to keep the old girl running happy

thanks
If you are talking about a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head, there isn't one. Olds used a metal-to-metal seal on all V8 engines except the 1985-1990 roller cam 307s with the 7A heads and the tubular stainless steel exhaust manifolds. All Olds motors with cast iron exhaust manifolds used no exhaust gaskets. Now, if your manifold or head sealing surfaces have some rust or roughness issues, it certainly won't hurt to use gaskets, but none were factory installed.
Old February 17th, 2014, 11:14 AM
80's Olds Club

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If you are talking about a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head, there isn't one. Olds used a metal-to-metal seal on all V8 engines except the 1985-1990 roller cam 307s with the 7A heads and the tubular stainless steel exhaust manifolds. All Olds motors with cast iron exhaust manifolds used no exhaust gaskets. Now, if your manifold or head sealing surfaces have some rust or roughness issues, it certainly won't hurt to use gaskets, but none were factory installed.
Ahh thats good to know, thanks !
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Hi Joe, looks like you will be able to help with another issue in regard to my 1965 Cutlass Sports Coupe.I was surprised to learn all Olds V8's didn't originally haveexhaust manifold gaskets as I had thought that it was only the 442 models that didn't use them.
I recently imported (to New Zealand) from JEGS Mr Gasket's 5945 Ultra Seal Exhaust Manifold Gaskets as one of the existing gaskets had blown out. As the noise was coming from around the middle bolt I thought I was looking at an area where a small bit of gasket was now missing. It wasn’t until I looked at the replacement gasket that I realized that there never had been gasket material in this area.
To fit a new gasket is a fair amount of work as the power steering pump and bracket as well as the alternator bracket have to be removed to allow separating of the exhaust manifold from the engine.
I used a CRC silicone product called Red Gasket 340 which is designed for exhaust applications but I would like to know if I even need to use the silicon product at all. I took the shiny side with the Gasket logos to be the face that fits to the engine.I went to the Mr Gasket website to confirm this but could find no way of contacting them by email.
First effort leaked badly which I put down to taking the directions on the sealanttoo literally resulting in too much sealant on the manifold side of the gasket.
Second effort I smeared on a small amount of sealant on what I took to be the manifold side of the gasket. Now there is still a small leak where the sump's dipstick comes up between the gasket itself and the exhaust manifold.The surfaces that the gasket seals all look very good, no damage or other problems so I am wondering what I could be doing wrong. There did not appear any additional sealing product used previously on the exhaust manifold gasket or engine side.
The dipstick itself is a bi wobbly in its mounting hole so I climbed under the car but could not see where it slots into. I think I would have to remove the starter motor to check this out properly
One thought I have had is that I may have squashed the gasket by applying too much pressure on the manifold retaining bolts in an effort to make a seal but I doubt that..Another thought I had was that I had tightened up the manifold bolts unevenly. Last night I found a diagram for a Olds350 V8 at the site below assuming that the 330 will be the same. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-O351-Header-Set-for-Oldsmobile-350-in-Cutlass.html BTW I wonder if these headers may fit my car? For my next step I am thinking of removing the new gasket, cleaning up all of the surfaces to get rid of all silicon traces and bolting everything back up with the new gasket in place.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Olds exhaust manifolds seal rather easily so if your having issues perhaps it may have a crack. The Sanderson manifolds are very nice and people seem to be happy with the product.
Old March 11th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Sanderson headers fit tight, their ceramic coating is good quality.They should fit your car but others might know for sure.
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Exhaust Manifold Leak & Sanderson's

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Olds exhaust manifolds seal rather easily so if your having issues perhaps it may have a crack. The Sanderson manifolds are very nice and people seem to be happy with the product.
Last night I crawled under the Cutlass in the hope (desperation) that what I was now hearing came from the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe flange but it was all good there. Still under my car and using a stethoscope ( bit of garden hose!) I think the leak is on the underside of the manifold near the dipstick. This explains why I can hear the leak on the topside where the dipstick manifold cutout is located.
Good to hear about Sandersons, I have not found anybody making headers that fit the 330V8 into a A body Cutlass. Actually I did find one manufacturer but their headers were over US$1000 so a bit out of my league when combined with freight and GST. to New Zealand.
Cheers
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Your are definitely limited to header selection for a 330 or any sbo in an early A body. Yes they are expensive. I've used a Felpro exhaust manifold gasket on one 330 over the years and it worked.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...118&cc=1346431