Oil leaking from fuel pump 371 58 olds

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Oil leaking from fuel pump 371 58 olds

Just put in a rebuilt fuel pump on the 58. I noticed oil leaking from the pump but not from the gasket. I pinpointed the leak. Looks like in the square pocket of the front of the pump there's two small holes way back in the pocket. Are these some kinda vents??? It seems to be leaking good after a hard drive. I took it up to about 50 on the highway but that's it. Mostly around town driving
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:51 PM

If you have oil or gas leaving the exterior of the pump a gasket has been breached somewhere and this could lead to bigger problems than a little loss of oil.

You say it is a new rebuilt, if mine I would send it back for a credit or have it rebuilt.The square port you speak of is where air inters the pump so you have air and oil mixing inside the pump... Not good...... Tedd
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info Tedd
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by New2Olds57
Just put in a rebuilt fuel pump on the 58. I noticed oil leaking from the pump but not from the gasket. I pinpointed the leak. Looks like in the square pocket of the front of the pump there's two small holes way back in the pocket. Are these some kinda vents??? It seems to be leaking good after a hard drive. I took it up to about 50 on the highway but that's it. Mostly around town driving
You are correct. The small holes are intended to vent the space between the fuel diaphragm and the pull rod seal. There should be a wicking material in the recess to catch a very minor amount of oil. However it sounds like you are getting too much oil coming through. The rocker arm and link area of the pump is lubricated by engine oil, however, if the fuel diaphragm's pull rod seal is not doing its job excess engine oil will enter the space above the fuel diaphragm and exit through the small vent holes.
As Tedd said, it is time for a refund, another pump, or somehow fix the pull rod seal to prevent excess oil from passing.(Since the fuel section is on the bottom, gravity makes it easier for this seal to leak as opposed to the one on the vacuum section.)