Oil Galley Bolts

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM
millwrightrice

Angry Oil Galley Bolts

When I tore this motor down ther were 2 1/4 20 bolts in the top oil galley I put my hands on them and they were loose.Sitting up about 2 threads.So I removed them and checked depth of the holes there was plenty of clearance to tighten them I thought.
I now have a lifter tapping after it wams up.I was baffled at why they would be loose inside a engine from the factory.This is a fresh rebuild. Before I pull the intake anyone have some suggestions?My next step is to remove the break in oil and put some slick synthetic in it and hope it free's it up.I'm carrying 40 pounds of oil pressure.Could I have blocked the oil passage?I figured if I did that I would have a whole bank tapping.

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Are you talking about the 2 bolts under the intake that secure the plate/pan shield over the cam?....Was this cover missing?.....those 2 bolts are very short and if the wrong/longer bolts were used it could be trouble....please clarify exact location of these bolts.
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
millwrightrice

Yes those bolts.There was no cover.They were very short.Thats why I can't believe they would block the passage.These are valley pan bolts?I put a valley pan back in but did not have holes in it.

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM

There should be a cover there for those 2 bolts but if no cover is there the short bolts wont hurt anything.....there is no oil passage there. The only danger would be if the holes are tapped all the way thru (dont remember if they are) and the bolt hit the cam. The piece you are missing is a baffle. The valley tray is built into the metal intake gasket if you get the whole correct one and not the cheapo ones I have seen with no valley. Some aftermarket gaskets are paper and there is no tray as well....the cause of your noise is not because of the bolts.