Nobody be mad at me!

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Nobody be mad at me!

As I was helping my uncle load scrap into his van yesterday we needed a third person to back up his van. While this stranger who worked at the dealership that we were getting an old alignment rack from was backing up his chevy he didn't think to close his door and hooked it on an early nineties camry and bent that door almost 180 degrees, now the door won't close. we went to a junkyard who wanted 150. we found a whole van for 150 and he needs the windshield and a bumper anyways so hey might as well right? point is it is equipped with a 1979 chevy 350 and it has been offered to me for free... I will keep the engine and tranny anyways because It goes better at my house than in a scrap yard but here's what I need to know. am i correct in assuming that a chevy motor will not have a matching bolt pattern for the eldorado tranny (from a toranado) I was kind of banking on the fact that they made dual bolt patterns or soemthing if they put a chevy in any of those 3 cars. I really don't expect that to work but I need my caddy to run before It rots away. Hold on there is a second possible solution! in my 84 delta I have an olds 350 from that same late 70s gen as the eldo so I thought maybe engine/tranny friom the chevy into the delta (I can't drive it legally I just want it to be mobile in case it needs moved) is it going to be an easy swap? Just temporarily. I love that car and I really really really want to work on the olds most but the caddy is inspected adn legal and everything works but the heater core and the engine with the blown head gasket. All input is appreciated.
-John
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Its sort of hard to figure out your post, but here is what I am thinking.

Put the Chevy 350 into the Cadillac if it will fit. Depending on what year it is and what engine it has in it currently the Chevy 350 might fit. Don't quote me on that though, I am not sure if Cadillacs used corporate GM enignes or not.

If you were to put a Chevy 350 in place of the Olds engine it wouldn't be an easy swap. The starter is on the other side, the alternator is up front, and the transmission bolt patterns won't work. Your best bet is to rebuild the Olds engine and then drop it into your Delta and have fun.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Check to see if the caddy trans has a dual bolt pattern housing. There's a good chance that it does.

What motor does the cadillac have in it? What body style? You need to figure out what body style to get chevy frame pads from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TH2004RBell.jpg (19.8 KB, 103 views)
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Esp for a temp thing, it's not worth the time to drop a SBC in there
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM

hey sorry guys I was in a little bit of a hurry this morning the caddy is an 84 and all eldos of course are front wheel drive. they both sport the late 70s olds 350s. more than likely the deltas engine will end up in the cadillac. there was never a chevy ony the e bodys(i believe they were e bodys) I just don't know aboutcorporate engine use. it would be easier to keep the delta as is and use the chevy for the caddy but if I could use the engine and tranny from the van to be able to move the all legal cadillac that would be awesome....I don't know if anyone has an easy solution that will put me on the road that would be nice
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Transmission

Look at J's posting and see the bolt patterns of the different applications. If you can see the transmission to engine area on the Caddy see if it has the multi-pattern transaxle. If not, one other possibility is an adaption plate. There's a guy on ebay that sells them pretty cheap and it will allow you to mix the GM bolt patterns between engines and transmissions. I bought one a couple years ago when I was thinking of trying a Chebby overdrive automatic in an Olds but never got around to doing it. John