new engine for my 56 olds 88

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
AAM

new engine for my 56 olds 88

I'm looking for a rebuilt engine for my 56 olds 88. Any suggestions?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Can your engine be rebuilt?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

To my knowledge, there is nobody that sells remanufactured engines for you 56. There are rebuild kits available but you are going to have to find a machinist that know these old motors.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:24 PM
AAM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Can your engine be rebuilt?
Yes it can. I'm just trying to determine the cost difference. I purchased the vehicle 7 years ago and the seller said that the engine had been rebuilt. Since that time, I've had to replace the cams and lifters twice. I've only driven the car about 3000 miles. I moved out of state and I took it to a different machine shop and the guy is telling me that he recommends another engine rebuild? Something is wrong and I'm not sure if I want to put anymore money in this engine.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:30 PM
AAM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
To my knowledge, there is nobody that sells remanufactured engines for you 56. There are rebuild kits available but you are going to have to find a machinist that know these old motors.
Thanks........that's the key. Finding the right machinist. I purchased the car 7 years ago and the seller said that the engine had been rebuilt. I've replaced the cams and lifters twice and I've only driven the car 3000 miles. Something has to be wrong with the engine which is causing the cams and lifters to keep getting damaged.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Something is very wrong if you've gone through 2 cam sets. The other problem is the amount of metal that came of those parts that may have contaminated other rotating assys. A tear down. thorough cleaning, and inspection at this point is probably in order to determine what needs to be done to fix it.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM
Tanawanda

AAM
Little b4 my time and I'm not sure, without looking it up in my books, what engine lineage there was with late 50's 88's; however I venture a guess 56-58 are similar.
Here are 3 links - the first are 56 blocks.
How serviceable they are? is questionable. The first and last look pretty complete; considering - they are in a harsh environment to say the least. I suppose for a cost they may be candidates for resurrection. Hope this may be of use to you or others.

http://www.montanatreasureisland.com...picture&id=377
http://www.montanatreasureisland.com...picture&id=619
http://www.montanatreasureisland.com...picture&id=444
Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I wonder if the cam bearings have slipped or were put in wrong. There is an oiling problem somewhere. What kind of oil pressure does it have? Does it smoke and use oil. The only place I know of that knows everything about these engines is Ross Racing. Tony is the second generation in the business and helped me out on my rocker arms. Here is their link: http://rossracingengines.com/