Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1963 Starfire Conv. NEW ENGINE 700R4, NEW BRAKES.

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Exclamation 1963 Starfire Conv. NEW ENGINE 700R4, NEW BRAKES.

Hello,
I purchased this car when I was 13, and have had it for 2 1/2 years now. I was driving it today and realized this car doesn't fit me very well. I would rather be in a 442, or my 64' Olds Fiesta Wagon.

The car is in great running condition, here are some details:
I purchased this car for $4000, it was a saddle mist color and had a Brand new Engine and Tranny. This was my 6th car, and the first one to ever make it up on the trailer by driving.

I got the car home and noticed a lost more rust then I had in the field, I noticed that the floors where rotten, trunk and quarters where toast. I talked with a local restoration company and they told me to purchase a new body. So I did, I bought a new body for $2500 from L.A. this car would give any car guy a big smile because there was literally NO-RUST! The car had also been stored inside for all its life. I put the other body on the Starfire Convertible frame and kept the engine and tranny in it.

The car at first had many mechanical problems; but I fixed all the below,
Brand new radiator, New Brakes, New Carb, Rebuilt the transmission, Raplaced the wiring because it was rotten, new hoses and lines to everything, new clamps, I put racing (leaded) oil in the engine and since the engine has only 1100 miles on it right now I have changed the oil 3x, and change the fuel filter 5-6x. I put new dual exhaust on the car with Blue-Streak glass packs, and it sounds AMAZING.

I had the alignment done on the car and bought new Wheels, Tires, Deluxe stock wheel covers and the clips to hold them on.

I have replaced all the fuel-line, tank and blown out all the metal lines.
The booster was rebuilt in 2011 (May) and the brakes where rebuilt in May 2012 (They worked originaly, I just like to be safe!

The car is licensed and registrated in Bend, Oregon. 97701. And is is currently legal to drive on the streets and insured (drove it to church this morning!)

I have always parked the car inside, but I also live in the desert where we only get about 2" or less rain per year!

The entire front end has been taken apart, sand-blasted and painted with "Eastwood Rust encapsulator" and then "Eastwood Underhood Black", the floor-board and trunk have been sanded and painted with the same paints as well.

I do have tilt-steering ($135.), Power Antenna ($85.), safety sentinel ($250.), that I could install or sell with the car separately.

Here is a list of my expenses:
$145. Deluxe Hubcaps
$650. New Blue-Streak Glass-packs on Dual-Exhaust
$600. New 225/70/R14 tires
$125. Alignment
$120. New wheels
$80. Wheel clips
$250. Rochester 4gc rebuilt by Don Monroe
$3000. Tranny conversion, incl. (Cable-plunger, torque converter, shifter, driveshaft conversion, brake light switch, electric down-shift assist, and neutral safety switch)
$680. Tranny rebuild (Whoever put it in didn't align the valve body gasket, and fried the tranny)
$75. Original lower and upper radiator hoses (Fusick.com)
$48. All new headlights
$95. All new lights, interior and exterior (Includes all new fuses)
$65. New alternator
$10. New vacuum-lines for the heater
$2800. Engine rebuild, for Deluxe-overhaul kit, hardened valve seats, and the ultra high compressions V8 394.
$80. New Battery
$240. Brake booster
$220. Rebuilt wiper motor, 2-speed
$460. Radiator redone.
$125. New Antenna (Hooked up and works great).
$145. Rebuilt clock w/ Quartz crystals installed.
$140. NOS Rearview Mirror
$40. NOS door-jam switches (Work great!)
$850. New Brakes,Hardware,Lines,hoses,shoes,and redone drums.
$140. Original 98' Floor mats (all 4) Brown
$220. Licenses, title in my name, insured also
$2500. NEW BODY 100% RUST FREE.
$125. Alignment
$95. Drive shaft lengthened (Had a lot of rattling so I fixed this which definately needed to be done.)
$150. Hurst cable 4 speed (AUTOMATIC) shifter (And installed)

Altogether I have spent $13773. on this car.

I am asking for $11000 OBO. This car is definately worth it.

EVERYTHING THAT MAKES THIS CAR MOVE IS BRAND NEW.

If you are looking for a solid project that just needs carpet, a little body work, paint, and the rest of the trim put on that you can take to a show this is the car for you.

I will post a link with pictures shortly.

Last edited by 1962oldsguy; May 5th, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6383885...7633411109069/
Here are the pictures!
541-678-0606
demammothman@live.com
-Dalton
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Your "switched the VIN" comment might make a few people nervous, no matter how legal what you did is. You do have a hybrid car there, with a frame and engine from a Starfire but a body from an '88 (and a drivetrain from neither). Whether it's more correct to call it a Starfire or more correct to call it an '88 is an interesting question, although I would guess that having a Starfire engine and frame tips it more towards the Starfire side. Putting a Starfire VIN on it may "make it a Starfire" in the eyes of the state, but it may not in the eyes of Olds enthusiasts. I'd love to hear opinions.

You should state where the car is located. Your area code suggests Oregon.

Good luck selling this. Your price is very fair for an actual Starfire in this condition.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM

63 Starfire

Good luck on the sale. Price is reasonable. A lot of purists might object, but the whole world isn't made up of them. I'm just finishing a similar project, but I changed the engine too. Installed a 455 Big Block and TH400 transmission into a 63 88 Convertible. Original motor and frame though, but I think it will make a much more streetable machine.