my olds 350

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM

my olds 350

Im trying to figure out some things about my engine. from what i have read from a few post here and there are you need certain numbers to find out when your engine was made and so forth. So here we go the block id on my engine is 395558 and a big number 2 after that. on the heads by the center exhaust hole the number was 411 928. so with these number and the number on the serial block matching the vin number to my vehicle i have a 1973 olds omega. So its pretty safe to say that this is the original engine that was in the car since it matches the car so i know it is a 350 i just want to know if anyone knows if it is the rocket 350 HO version or not. Thanks
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 1973oldsomega
on the heads by the center exhaust hole the number was 411 928.
The more important number is above the #1 spark plug. On a 73' it should be a big #8

i just want to know if anyone knows if it is the rocket 350 HO version or not. Thanks
No.
In fact, in an Omega you're lucky to have an Olds motor in it at all. GM put every table scrap they had under those hoods.

Rocket 350, was a marketing term. It didn't make them any faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jheadvinpad.JPG (57.4 KB, 84 views)
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

... i just want to know if anyone knows if it is the rocket 350 HO version or not. Thanks
I can tell you without looking at it that it is not, because there is no such thing as a "rocket 350 HO". Contrary to popular belief, the term "Rocket" was a marketing term applied to just about every single V8 engine Olds ever built. This includes the 2bbl single exhaust versions. It has no performance connotations one way or the other.
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
The more important number is above the #1 spark plug. On a 73' it should be a big #8

No.
In fact, in an Omega you're lucky to have an Olds motor in it at all. GM put every table scrap they had under those hoods.

Rocket 350, was a marketing term. It didn't make them any faster.

Yes there is a big # 8 on both heads in that location. And my omega is in very good condition and the engine ran really well before i took it down to upgrade it with all new performance parts. so i guess i am lucky like you say and i know it is a olds 350 engine.
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I can tell you without looking at it that it is not, because there is no such thing as a "rocket 350 HO". Contrary to popular belief, the term "Rocket" was a marketing term applied to just about every single V8 engine Olds ever built. This includes the 2bbl single exhaust versions. It has no performance connotations one way or the other.

Ok that settles that i didnt know if there were two different versions of the olds 350 that were made. I know the rocket term was just a name given and dont add any extra horse power lol.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM

From what I have read, the name "Rocket" was used in reference to the Old's V-8 engines about the time the U.S. Space program was really starting to take off, and they were building more powerful rockets to send up all the space exploration stuff. America was caught up in all this, so Oldsmobile took opportunity to capitalize on it. The rocket is also seen on various badges of Oldsmobile models. Chumley
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chumley
From what I have read, the name "Rocket" was used in reference to the Old's V-8 engines about the time the U.S. Space program was really starting to take off, and they were building more powerful rockets to send up all the space exploration stuff. America was caught up in all this, so Oldsmobile took opportunity to capitalize on it. The rocket is also seen on various badges of Oldsmobile models. Chumley
It predates the space program. Olds first used the term "Rocket" in reference to the then-new 1949 303 V8. I guess rocketry was the big thing after the V2s used in WWII.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
....... Olds first used the term "Rocket" in reference to the then-new 1949 303 V8 ........
Rockets and rocket power were popular topics of conversation at the time.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/GAL100/bellX1.html

Easy to see why Olds chose to use it.

Norm