minor tweaks and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:00 AM

minor tweaks and upgrades

while keeping smog legal and fuel eff, i have a 77 delta 88, 403ci and looking for more power and torque. I was searching on summit and i was thinking bout getting :

let me know your opinion
Edelbrock 3711 - Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 8514 - Edelbrock Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
Fel-Pro QMS96027 - Fel-Pro Valley Pan Gasket
K&N E-1650 - K&N Washable Lifetime Performance Air Filter
Flowtech 31150FLT - FlowTech Headers??? if not point me to the right part..
B&M 30228 - B&M Transpak Kit 350 turbo

I don't know if i can have headers on my car or if they will fit? some opinions would be great. I'm going to be upgrading my rear end to (3.something), the shop say i need a bigger housing any ideas of interchangeable rear ends i can pull from a salvage yard that'll bolt up to my vehicle? thanks

oh one more thing, will i have any bracket and linkage bolt on problems with these parts?

Last edited by wizzy01; March 14th, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wizzy01
while keeping smog legal and fuel eff, i have a 77 delta 88, 403ci and looking for more power and torque. I was searching on summit and i was thinking bout getting :

let me know your opinion
Edelbrock 3711 - Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Edelbrock 8514 - Edelbrock Intake Manifold Bolt Kit
Fel-Pro QMS96027 - Fel-Pro Valley Pan Gasket
K&N E-1650 - K&N Washable Lifetime Performance Air Filter
Flowtech 31150FLT - FlowTech Headers??? if not point me to the right part..
B&M 30228 - B&M Transpak Kit 350 turbo

I don't know if i can have headers on my car or if they will fit? some opinions would be great. I'm going to be upgrading my rear end to (3.something), the shop say i need a bigger housing any ideas of interchangeable rear ends i can pull from a salvage yard that'll bolt up to my vehicle? thanks

oh one more thing, will i have any bracket and linkage bolt on problems with these parts?
Not sure exactly what you mean by "smog legal". I don't see a C.A.R.B. exemption number for either the Perf or Perf RPM intakes, so technically neither would be "smog legal" under the letter of the law. Do you actually have to get a 1977 car emissions tested where you live?

The Performer is a good choice for a relatively heavy, street driven car. Your 403 may even like a Performer RPM. The intake bolts and valley pan obviously have nothing to do with performance increases. I don't know if you can get headers to fit the 77-90 B-body cars. There is a diagonal brace on each side of the chassis that interferes with headers on these cars. Some people remove the brace. Personally I don't think this is a good idea.

I would not recommend the K&N. There have been a number of tests, all of which show that the K&N flows more because it lets more dirt in. You'd be far better off just using a high quality paper filter and changing it often.

Your car could have come with a 7.5, 8.5, or 8.75" axle. You need to determine which you have. If this was a factory 403 car, it should at least have the 8.5 axle. There are a wide range of gears available for this axle. If your shop is actually telling you that you need a different carrier (Larger? no) to accept the 3-series gears, tell them to look up the thicker gearsets that everyone sells to install 3-series gears on a 2-series carrier. If they are unaware of this option, you may want to consider finding a shop that has a clue.
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not sure exactly what you mean by "smog legal". I don't see a C.A.R.B. exemption number for either the Perf or Perf RPM intakes, so technically neither would be "smog legal" under the letter of the law. Do you actually have to get a 1977 car emissions tested where you live?
hell yea i do, dmv even sending me to a test only station, guess they trying to get cars like mine in california off the streets..but the edelbrock prof say 50 state legal with egr hole.

The Performer is a good choice for a relatively heavy, street driven car. Your 403 may even like a Performer RPM. The intake bolts and valley pan obviously have nothing to do with performance increases. I don't know if you can get headers to fit the 77-90 B-body cars. There is a diagonal brace on each side of the chassis that interferes with headers on these cars. Some people remove the brace. Personally I don't think this is a good idea.
well i guess its over for the headers.. yea i know the bolts and gaskets dont improve prof...lol, just was showing you guys what i was going to buy..

I would not recommend the K&N. There have been a number of tests, all of which show that the K&N flows more because it lets more dirt in. You'd be far better off just using a high quality paper filter and changing it often.
saving me some dollars thanks

Your car could have come with a 7.5, 8.5, or 8.75" axle. You need to determine which you have. If this was a factory 403 car, it should at least have the 8.5 axle. There are a wide range of gears available for this axle. If your shop is actually telling you that you need a different carrier (Larger? no) to accept the 3-series gears, tell them to look up the thicker gearsets that everyone sells to install 3-series gears on a 2-series carrier. If they are unaware of this option, you may want to consider finding a shop that has a clue.
thanks for telling me that i guess they was trying to get extra money out of me, mane i love this site..

Last edited by wizzy01; March 14th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.