Marking the distributor

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM

Marking the distributor

Hey fellas and gals,
I'm (hopefully) going to pull my motor this weekend and am trying to plan accordingly. Do I need to mark the distributor housing and block, and the rotor direction before I yank it out IF I'm replacing the camshaft as well? I've been reading and watching videos and it seems I can do it from scratch if I find TDC for #1 cylinder. When dropping the distributor in, does it matter what position the #1 spark plug is, as long as it is aligned with the cam? Although, now that I've written this, I bought pre-cut wires so I would want them to reach so yeah, that might matter.
Any tips for dropping the distributor back in? Aligning it with the oil pump shaft, etc?
I just don't want to repeat the mistake I made with a VCR (yeah, years ago) when I messed with a factory setting and never got it back.
As always, thanks.
-Mac

Last edited by Macadoo; October 1st, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
same but different

Mac, at this point just be prepared to bring the #1 up to TDC and let the rotor point where it wants to. Worry about the other things first. We'll get you straightened out when the time comes. Its really personal preference when getting all the wires etc. hooked up.

My vote...do it from scratch.

My opinion...pre cut wires are usually too long.

Oh...and hey, its not a VCR
Old October 1st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

As long as the engine is on #1, when you drop the distributor back in the rotor will point to #1 for wiring purposes.
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM

Sounds great guys. Thanks. And yeah, this isn't a vcr, it's a lot less complicated!

Last edited by Macadoo; October 1st, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Sounds great guys. Thanks. And yeah, this isn't a vcr, it's a lot less complicated!
To be clear, the rotor will point wherever you want it to upon reassembly. I think they mean there is a diagram that indicates where #1 plug wire is on the cap. If you are a novice, it is possible to get it one tooth off. Given that you have worn timing parts (chain, gears) now, even if you line up to TDC and mark it before disasssembly, the marks may be no good anyway. I would go ahead and set the engine up TDC and mark it, just be aware these marks are more like guidelines, not actual rules.

Tim
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Thanks tmaleck, Good point about being worn. I'm replacing the timing set as well.