Lag Question

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Question Lag Question

My 63 F85 with a 215 hesitates a little from a stop, kinda lags down a little before it gets going, but is fine after that. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on why this could be happening. I plan on trying to advance the timing a little to see if that helps. The car is at my grandmothers in a garage 4 the winter while i'm at school, so i won't be fooling around with it just yet, but I want to get to work on it over winter break.

Thanks
-Ryan
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM

With the air cleaner off, look down into the carburetor and open the throttle. You should see two jets of gasoline from the accelerator pump. If it is a weak stream or delayed, you either have a bad pump or the float is set too low. I believe that model has an adjustment (alternate hole for the actuator rod) which will vary the pump shot, too. Get the carb right, then check the timing, etc.
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks Danny
I'll check that next week when I go to start her up and drive her if there isn't snow or salt on the road by then. The carb on there isn't the original, its some rochester 4bbl the guy before me put on. It doesn't have the Id tag on it so I don't know what modle it is or if it will have the alternate hole for the actuating rod, but I will definatly look. There is actually a good chance somethings off with the carb, cause I have a feeling the guy I got her off of didn't pay to much attention to the quality of what he was using. Thanks a bunch, and if anyone else has a suggestion let me know.

Thanks
-Ryan
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM

I'm looking at a 1963 F85 with the 215 High Compression. It's a four barrel. Everything I see about these motors talks about warping. What should I look for? The car has 68K on it. According to the pictures, it's clean. I'd love to have it as my daily drive. Remember, I've got the sixty super 88 convertible in the garage for storage.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by super88dan
I'm looking at a 1963 F85 ........
This belongs in its own thread.

Norm