intake, carb suggestions

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:07 AM

intake, carb suggestions

Machine shop just finished my '70 350 rebuild. Mild cam, flat top pistons. I am looking for a intake and carb set up for it. Any suggestions for a car I am planing on driving maybe 3-4 days a week. I will also need vavle covers and was wondering if Edlebrock had valve covers with what I'll call fins on them. I had some M/Ts on my '69 Camaro way back when.

Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
BobsW32

Intake and car

I would run an Edelbrock performer intake and a Quadrajet car..... Quadrajets are great on the street with their small primaries... The Edelbrock will help reduce weight and look cool......
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:55 AM

If it has flat top pistons and the original #6 heads, the compression ratio is going to be pretty high, probably a little over 10 to 1. That would probably make the RPM a better choice, IMO, depending on the cam, converter and gears. Q-jet is a fine carb for a driver, and will probably get a little better mileage. Holleys work well too, and there are E-brock proponents. It is really a personal choice. I really like the M/T calve covers. I paint them the same color as the engine, then polish the M/T and the raised ribs. Looks sharp, IMO.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by captjim
If it has flat top pistons and the original #6 heads, the compression ratio is going to be pretty high, probably a little over 10 to 1. That would probably make the RPM a better choice, IMO, depending on the cam, converter and gears. Q-jet is a fine carb for a driver, and will probably get a little better mileage. Holleys work well too, and there are E-brock proponents. It is really a personal choice. I really like the M/T calve covers. I paint them the same color as the engine, then polish the M/T and the raised ribs. Looks sharp, IMO.
RPM a better choice, either way, with steel factory head gasket @ 10:1CR or a aftermarket .040" @ 9.5:1CR. Try to shoot for between 7.5:1- 8.5:1 (say 8:1 target) Dynamic compression ratio for a street engine. Enter your engine specs into this calculator.

http://www.projectpontiac.com/ppsite...nt/view/16/30/
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM

Does edelbrock make valve coverswith ribs for oldsmobiles? Also what about an up grade in the distributors?
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wireman134
RPM a better choice, either way, with steel factory head gasket @ 10:1CR or a aftermarket .040" @ 9.5:1CR. Try to shoot for between 7.5:1- 8.5:1 (say 8:1 target) Dynamic compression ratio for a street engine. Enter your engine specs into this calculator.

http://www.projectpontiac.com/ppsite...nt/view/16/30/
9.5 is on the very low end, IMO. I'm assuming Speed Pros, which have been .024 +/- in the hole on undecked engines that I have done. If there has been any milling of heads or block, Cr could easily be over 10.2. Nice link on the calculator. It depends on whether he measured everything and the cam, but I agree that either way the RPM should work better.

As for distributors, you can install a Pertronix kit in your points unit or get an HEI, don't waste your money on a high dollar after market unit, IMO

Last edited by captjim; August 2nd, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 70redvert
Does edelbrock make valve coverswith ribs for oldsmobiles? Also what about an up grade in the distributors?

At the moment I am running a Mallory Unilite with an MSD coil and it definately made a difference. But I have a Bilet MSD distributor waiting in the wings but need a box to use it.