Ignition upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Ignition upgrade questions

I have been searching around and probable just missed this somewhere else but I want to replace the points in my 1972 442 with a stock 350 4bbl. I want to replace the points with an electronic setup. What suggestions would you all give? Do the internal upgrades work as well as the entire distributor replacements? They are cheaper but I wasn't sure they would give me the same performance upgrades. I am not looking to go crazy with the upgrades at this point. Also one last thing is my dad rebuilt it with a torque cam so I am not sure how that changes things?!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to playing hard with this car in the years to come.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Unless you have a higher-than-original-spec RPM cam (say, something that you rev over 5000 RPM), you will see no performance gains from an electronic ignition.

If you want to add one because of personal preference, the Pertronix units have a good reputation and are simple to install.

HEI works fine, too, and the distributors are easy to find in junkyards, but you may have to dent the bottom of your air cleaner in with a sledgehammer to make room for one.

A new set of points is cheaper.

- Eric
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM

I've done both ways and the advantage to the pertronix is you can keep the original stock apperance and never have to screw with points again- I grew up when you changed plugs and points every 10k miles or so and certainly don't miss doing that! Dave
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:22 AM

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com

If you have a few weeks to spare, send your distributor to Dave Ray and let him do his rebuild/recurve/HEI conversion. I've used him since the 90's, never a problem.

Lee Atkinson
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by olds34dude
I've done both ways and the advantage to the pertronix is you can keep the original stock apperance and never have to screw with points again- I grew up when you changed plugs and points every 10k miles or so and certainly don't miss doing that! Dave
The simplicity of points! I've only been broke down on the road once in my lifetime with points! However, 15 mins with the spare set from the glove box, and a matchbook, back in the saddle.

When an electronic ignition fails, it usually requires a tow! Then a few hours to figure out what failed and to repair.

I currently run an HEI with no problems since the install, but have considered running a dual point! More control with less cost and keeps with my high school theme.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Just the facts...

HEI or nothing for me, i've never had a failure with the system, and neither have my parents over their driving careers. no points to fiddle with, no rubbing blocks to keep lubed, no points to clean the oxidation off of when the car sits. turn the key and go.

bill
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM

I have run Pertronix for about 20 years on numerous cars and have never had a problem or a breakdown. Like olds34dude said, with Pertronix you maintain the stock apperarance. Don't expect ANY performance gain with any electronic unit. What you will get is a car that always runs like it has just had a tuneup. Points wear, and worse, the manufacturing quality (Mexico, China, etc.) of most points today is not like they were in the 60s. Whichever route you decide, make sure you follow the install directions and don't skip steps or cut corners. I have seen Pertronix installations go bad, but it was always because the installation instructions were not followed.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM

the kids in the parts stores today don't even know what a set of points are! D.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by olds34dude
the kids in the parts stores today don't even know what a set of points are! D.
Neither do most mechanics!
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The simplicity of points! I've only been broke down on the road once in my lifetime with points! However, 15 mins with the spare set from the glove box, and a matchbook, back in the saddle.

When an electronic ignition fails, it usually requires a tow!
+1. I have had running problems with points once, after a drive from NY to California. The motor seemed rough and a bit weak. I slapped the dwell meter on it, found the rubbing block had worn, twisted the adjusting screw, and was back to normal within 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
HEI or nothing for me, i've never had a failure with the system...
I have, about 2 weeks ago.

I took the car out for a springtime test run, drove it out a few miles from my house and back, was checking the trans fluid in the driveway when the car just died. Quick check: No spark, good voltage into the HEI.
I went down to the auto parts store, tested the module, found it to be bad, went to another store when the only module the first store had ALSO tested bad, got a new module, screwed it on, and was up and running again.

If the car had died on me five minutes earlier, it would have meant an hour's walk home, and another hour's walk later on to get back to the car, but if it had had points, it would have been a 15 minute delay as I installed the spare set I keep in the glove compartment (or set the dwell, or cleaned them).

I also had an electronic ignition failure on a motorcycle on the NJ Turnpike.
Fortunately I had a spare set of points, and had left the condenser in place - took me 10 minutes by the side of the road to swap and adjust it, with cars blasting by me at 80mph the whole time, and I was going again.

I'll never be without points, at least as a backup for the electronics.

- Eric
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Randy C.

I've had Pertronix in my '71 Corvette since 2003 and the '68 4-4-2 since 2007. They haven't failed me ever. Again, fairly easy to install, and around $160/unit as I recall.

Randy C.
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:49 AM

Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with the BREAKERLESS-SE system?
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dingusboy
Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with the BREAKERLESS-SE system?
Basically a Unilite system, been around for years! You can use your resistance wire or a ballast resistor. Most recommend a power filter for the hot lead.
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Dumb question. What's a power filter? Doesn't show one on the online install instructions.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Click on the link:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29351/
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Another vote for HEI. I've never had an ignition failure in ANY car.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This is probably the second most discussed issue behind the "which motor mounts do I use when switching from a 350 to a 455". In my opinioin, if points were so good, why would all manufactures have switched to HEI's? Both can quit on you. No doubt it is easier and cheaper to keep a set of points in the glove box and change them on the side of the road. I am a big fan of HEi. A GM Hei was one of the first things I put in my 72 Cutlass when I bought it in 1993. It has never failed me. I have a pertronix in my boat and it has worked perfectly. One advantage of an HEI in and older engine is you are less likely to foul plugs if you have leaking valve stem seals. You will get quicker starts too. I agree that you will not get any performance improvement you can feel. I will never run points in anything again. If I were doing my Cutlass today, I would use Pertronix. I think I have written more than my 2 cents, maybe a nickel.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM

HEI for me, also. I certainly don't miss dealing with points-- in my mind, they are going out of adjustment from the moment I start the engine. I keep a spare HEI module in the glove box, but I've never needed to use it so far.

Rob S
Old May 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Points vs Pertronics

I have owned a 69 Opel GT for about 26 years that burned points faster than you can change them, of course everyone knew it was a bad capacitor (condenser) but it was not. I modified a volkswagen Pertronics unit and that was the end of the problem.

I also have a 63 Dynamic 88 with a 394 cu engine. Is there an olds or GM HEI distributor that will fit without any modifications??

Bill
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Bill:

I don't think there is any GM HEI for the 394. A Pertronix unit will work and nobody will even know.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I have considered that and if no HEI is available, the pertronics is likely the way I'll go.
Thanks
Bill