I love my 73 88...Part 2. Intake and carb questions.

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM

I love my 73 88...Part 2. Intake and carb questions.

I plan on getting the repair/service manual BUT, in the mean time, are there any tricks to removing the intake manifold (like needing to remove anything else besides the carb) to actually take the manifold off?

And, speaking of the carb, what I'm thinking of doing, instead of rebuilding the 2GC, is installing an Edelbrock 1406 carb on a 4bbl stock intake. This carb doesn't have any electrical hook ups at all. What all would be needed to do this swap and, how much trouble would it be?

Thanks, Paul
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:14 AM

first thing you need to do is determine what your compression ratio is. if its a low compression engine then there is a good change that the 4bbl. isn't going to help the performance any, in fact it may be detrimental.
i don't recall from the previous thread if this is the original engine or not but there should be a tag on the oil fill tube that will have the engine code on it. i'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with other ways to determine the c/r, that is certainly the first step before you start swapping parts out...
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Could always do a compression test and see how your cylinders are doing. I'd warm up the engine first though, i always get better results when warm.

Actually, if you just got the car, it's a good idea to do a compression test anyway. You can get the testers at your local store for a relatively good price.
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:59 AM

I have found that a four barrel does help, even with low compression. A bit bigger camshaft would help some. You can actually remove the intake with the carb still on it. you will have to pull the oil filler tube. Knock it side to side, front to back without denting it, just enough that you can pull it out. On re-installation, clean with solvent and seal with RTV. After removing the bolts, you usually need to pry the manifold up at the front to break the seal. I use RTV instead of the end seals, which tend to pop out of position and to leak.
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

All '73s were low compression from the factory, so unless the engine has been changed, there's no point checking.

I don't recall having to remove the oil filler to get the manifold off in the car (I know you don't have to out of the car), but maybe I'm not picturing it right.

- Eric
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
All '73s were low compression from the factory, so unless the engine has been changed, there's no point checking.

I don't recall having to remove the oil filler to get the manifold off in the car (I know you don't have to out of the car), but maybe I'm not picturing it right.

- Eric
I didnt take the oil filler off either to remove my manifold (72 350 2bbl) to replace with an eldelbrock performer with 1405 manual choke.

But, realistically, i'd like to remove my oil filler now anyway to clean it up and paint it, but that's another story.

-Tony
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
delete

The Edelbrock carb on a stock intake will need an adapter. You'd be better off with a spread bore like a quadrajet for a clean look. Also keep in mind the need for a choke, either manual or electric.
Old October 18th, 2011, 12:52 PM

How about the EGR? Can this be removed to help remove chances of it causing any problems?
Old October 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM

The early Olds edelbrock performers had EGR's no matter what, my EGR is blocked off. If you're putting anything but a quadrajet, you'll need a riser for your carburetor to clear the port on your manifold.
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:34 AM

Where does someone find the smaller parts from a carb that aren't included in the carb kit?
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Which parts?

Sometimes it's better and cheaper to pull them off a junk carb from the boneyard or a flea market.

There are a number of specialty suppliers that can provide pretty much every piece (if I could remember who they are...).

- Eric
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 77GCSX
This carb doesn't have any electrical hook ups at all.
That carb has an electric choke, with the typical 2 wire connection.