High idle and other problems

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2024, 07:17 AM

High idle and other problems

So jist got my 84 307 running. New holley intake and holley carb that got a rebuild. No ccc. She starts but idles high, runs kinda rough, stalls when I start to hit the gas in drive. Is really hard to get to stay running in reverse. The rear float isn't adjusting quite right but seems to be about right. Vacuum lines look good but there's always chance I missed something to plug off. She stalled on a turn going into work today (risk it for the biscuit I wanted to drive it) started back up. It'll almost idle at 50 as it is. When I'm at a stop it's trying to drive through the brakes. I'm sure some tinkering will fix it but while I'm at work I can only look at it. Anyone have some ideas to test out? I plan on. Tapping on the bowl and seeing it I can free up a float that could be stuck, I plan on decreasing the timing which I think is at 24-26 degrees. I'll add the idle screw is all the way out, not even touching the throttle. Everything I've done has been new to me and I took a car that was rotten and brought it back to running and driving, replacing almost everything I touched. Holley carbs are new to me so I could be missing something stupid. Any help is appreciated.
Old May 24th, 2024, 07:24 AM
Running On Empty

I have very limited experience with both a Holley intake and a Holley carburetor. However, you'll garner far more useful information if you provide the model/part number of the Holley carburetor.
Old May 24th, 2024, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have very limited experience with both a Holley intake and a Holley carburetor. However, you'll garner far more useful information if you provide the model/part number of the Holley carburetor.
I think it's a 4160 600 cmf carb, almost positive
Old May 24th, 2024, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sgruenauer96
No ccc.
Did you replace the distributor?
Old May 25th, 2024, 05:22 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

A Street Dominator isn't a great choice for a stock 8 to 1 307. Who knows how that Holley is jetted, probably rich for a 307. Does it have a choke? As said, the distributor needs changed to a vacuum advance model. You will have no advance with the CCC distributor over where you set the base timing. Even if it has been changed, you need know the curve where to set base timing.
Old June 10th, 2024, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Did you replace the distributor?
yes and I ended up getting a new carb and that fixed it. turns out 2nd hand rusty carbs can be a real bitch to rebuild and have work lol. Serves me right being cheap
Old June 10th, 2024, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
A Street Dominator isn't a great choice for a stock 8 to 1 307. Who knows how that Holley is jetted, probably rich for a 307. Does it have a choke? As said, the distributor needs changed to a vacuum advance model. You will have no advance with the CCC distributor over where you set the base timing. Even if it has been changed, you need know the curve where to set base timing.
Distributor intake and carb were all changed. Carb was 2nd hand and had more problems than I cared to fix. I bought a new Shiney and tossed it in. Runs like a top. The intake is no issue. Also I'm in the midst of building a 350 with flat tops and a taller cam, porting the heads ect. Just running the 307 in the meantime. It's all just a bit of fun building this guy.