Help with roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Help with roller rockers

1968 Rocket 350 engine. Motor has been rebuilt with a mild cam. Everything has been replaced except the rockers. Wouldn't you know it a rocker broke in half while breaking in the cam the other day. I want to replace them all with some roller tip stamp steel rockers. I found some online but they said they were 3/8 and the bolt that holds the stock rockers in place are 5/16. I am assuming I will need studs instead of the stock bolts. Will I also need plate guides? Is there a kit to adapt to a stock head without having to drill bigger for studs? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for the least expensive roller rockers I can get. Thanks in advance........Todd
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Least expensive isn't always the best... kinda like women.

You'll need a 5/16 X 3/8 stud... Comp and others make them. You may not see them in a catalog so ask... You engine shop can get 'em, too.

Comp and Elgin make a heavy duty non-roller tip rocker. I really don't see any advantge to using roller tips in a stock engine even with a mild cam. You'll never spin that rascal high enough to see any HP benefit IMHO.

You can use most any 1.6 rocker... some guys use the SBF style with good luck. Guide plates will be required. You MAY need to install higher clearance valve covers if you use a long poly lock.

Stay away from Chinisium parts or you may be buying them again...

Last edited by krooser; January 25th, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks found that info finally and cant afford rollers at this time. Going with stock rockers till i can afford to upgrade thanks for your help.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:10 AM

The advantage of roller tip rockers as told to me by an engine builder a few years back is that they tend to give a closer to spec 1.5 or 1.6 than a stamped rocker which usually delivers less than 1.5 in actual usage.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by brown7373
The advantage of roller tip rockers as told to me by an engine builder a few years back is that they tend to give a closer to spec 1.5 or 1.6 than a stamped rocker which usually delivers less than 1.5 in actual usage.
Just an fyi, a roller tip rocker is guess what.... stamped steel. There's no guarantee it'll give you a more accurate ratio than a non roller tip rocker.
You may want to inform your engine builder of that as well.