Help Needed Throttel Bracket Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Help Needed Throttel Bracket Issue

I feel like I might be missing something here. I put a 4 barrel stock intake on my 72 cutlass 350, I also have a 600cfm Edelbrock with adapter plate and 4 barrel throttle bracket. I know it is supposed to bolt to the back 2 bolts but the only way it bolt like that is under the adapter plate and it wont seal like that. It wont fit on top of the carb. Has anyone else done this swap? If so do you have pictures I can take a look at? I didnt think this was going to be a problem but it has got be puzzled at the moment. I am most likely overlooking something but am not sure.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM

I put an edelbrock carb on a Olds 350 years ago. I got a chrome plated bracket from Summit that fit under the carb with a gasket on top and underneath it. It had an adjustable bracket for the throttle cable square piece. If that sounds like what you have make sure you've got a gasket on each side of the plate. Not one of the thick with plastic rings for the bolts gaskets, but fairly thin ones with one large hole for all four butterflys. John
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM

The bracket I have allows the carb to bolt up to the stock cast iron intake. It does not have any throttle stuff to it, it is just the square 1/2 in thick adapter. I also ordered a stock 4 barrel throttle bracket that you would use with q-jet 4 barrel setup.
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

What you are missing is that the factory throttle cable bracket is designed for the stock Qjet carb. The square bore carb you are using has a different bolt pattern, which is why you need the adapter plate. Ditch the carb and restrictive adapter and get a Qjet, or else fabricate a bracket that fits your combo.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM

The money is already spent so I will need to stick with edelbrock setup. I originally bought a 4 barrel q-jet from someone here and went to have it rebuilt which was going to cost around $200 but found out the carb was trash once it was at the shop. It had water damage and some other problems. Has no one done the setup im trying? If you have and could send some pictures of how you set up the throttle it would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mike623
The bracket I have allows the carb to bolt up to the stock cast iron intake. It does not have any throttle stuff to it, it is just the square 1/2 in thick adapter. I also ordered a stock 4 barrel throttle bracket that you would use with q-jet 4 barrel setup.
What 2blu442 is talking about is a plate like this:

This plate is used in addition to the adapter. Alternately, there are millions of different brackets at the wrecking yard. Grab some that look close and cut and weld as needed.