help with 1406 and 7111!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Easy Does It!

help with 1406 and 7111!!!!

Alrite I know im making it more than what it is,but id rather be sure than sorry. So I Just got a edelbrock 7111 intake and a 600cfm 1406 carb.I will just be installing the intake,carb and a true dual exhaust,no pistns cam or anything else. So I have a couple questions,please just answer the questions if you can:

1. I noticed that the original Intake does not have these two extra holes in it so wtf are the two extra holes for on the intake for in the red arrows and what do I do with them?
Picture313-1.jpg

2. What gasket do I need for this intake and carb in the neon green?Here is a picture of a couple gaskets that came with the carb,but i know theres a 4 hole gasket that they sell also so which one?

3.Most Important,My engine will be all stock except for true dual exhaust,will it be a good daily driver with the 7111 intake and 600cfm carb?

e
e
e
e
e

Last edited by Kidcutty; April 9th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Ben

Edelbrock sells a thin metal plate that is an "adapter" to go from spreadbore to squarebore. you put gaskets on either side of that. You need one of those, otherwise you are likely to get vacum leaks.

If you go to edelbrock's website and look at the installation instructions for that Intake, it will list the part number of the adapter plate you need.

No answer to the two extra holes question. Are they tapped? if yes, then they are just extra water passage holes, and you can put in an threaded pipe plug to seal them.
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM

You don't need a adapter plate for that intake and carb. I have used that Edlebrock carb and intake togather before without any problems. You will need a carb stud kit for for it and the gasket to the left.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; April 10th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:34 AM

performer rpm intake. It is designed for higher rpm's right? i went for a 2111 on mine for the lower rpm range for more power down low.( I think thats why). I am wrighting this so someone may respond to your question #3.
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Easy Does It!

Originally Posted by highlander
performer rpm intake. It is designed for higher rpm's right? i went for a 2111 on mine for the lower rpm range for more power down low.( I think thats why). I am wrighting this so someone may respond to your question #3.

Im hoping someone will answer my 3rd question too,anyone? I just dont want to make the wrong descision because one I put it in its not comming off
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM

IMO you have too much intake and too little carb. The carb will work, but IMO Oldsmobiles like bigger carbs. A Performer will work better for you than the RPM, IMO especially with a small gear.

Those holes re threaded, get some pipe plugs.
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Easy Does It!

Well I will have a full exhaust but the engine is stock,so I thought that carb would be fine?also what could I expect say from the performer 3711 intake vs this 7111 intake with a stock engine?
Originally Posted by captjim
IMO you have too much intake and too little carb. The carb will work, but IMO Oldsmobiles like bigger carbs. A Performer will work better for you than the RPM, IMO especially with a small gear.

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:05 AM

to anwser your third question, yes you will be fine as I run the same system you are about to do and use the plugs that comes with the intake, use the gasket on the left in the picture, use a thread sealer on your plugs...jim
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Easy Does It!

re

- got the intake used and it did not come with bolts,shoulds I use the original bolts? Also did you notice a lose in torque at all with this setup and gain power up top or no?
Originally Posted by 65cutty
to anwser your third question, yes you will be fine as I run the same system you are about to do and use the plugs that comes with the intake, use the gasket on the left in the picture, use a thread sealer on your plugs...jim
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....performer++rpm

My 355 has more compression, cam, gear, and converter than yours and was noticeably more responsive with the Performer.
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by captjim

x2 I already said this in another tread that kid had before he bought the intake and carb. That's why I didn't answer it on this tread.
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM

the RPM intake is taller than stock, cutting down on hood clearance. you will loose some off idle throttle response with the RPM vs the regular Performer. this will be more noticeable with high (low numerical) final drive gears.

I've run a Performer with a 600 Holley for quite some time.

Last edited by Blk71SX; April 11th, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Easy Does It!

re

God damn it!!, why do we have to go back and forth? I like the way the rpm intake looks alot better than the performer,but at the same time I dont want to put something on the engine that will not do any good or hinder performance so... God Damn it, All I want is a straight forward answer kids!! what should I do? 600cfm carb and rpm intake or performer intake!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kidcutty
[COLOR=red][B]3.Most Important,My engine will be all stock except for true dual exhaust,will it be a good daily driver with the 7111 intake and 600cfm carb?
#1. What kind of car is it ??

Your signature and avatar show someone elses LS powered 442.
Hard to answer when no one knows what car or engine this is in.

#2. Here's some basic mathematics

Performer intakes are Idle - 5500rpm
Performer RPM intakes are 1500-6500rpm

If your stock engine doesn't rev past 5500rpm....which one would you choose??

#3. RTFM > http://www.streetsideauto.com/images...keManifold.pdf

Sounds like you bought what you wanted before you even knew, so just put it in.
It's not going to blow up or anything, it will be fine. Your gasket question is answered in the manual.
I have an RPM intake on my 1970 Rocket 350 only because it was bought that way.
I'm putting an Edelbrock 1407 (750cfm) on there instead of the Holley 1850 (600cfm)

I know I'm probably missing some off the line response, but it's fine for me. I'm not drag racing it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 11th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Easy Does It!

re

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
#1. What kind of car is it ??well the car is a 1970 cutlass supreme holiday coupe,350 engine with 5a heads and 350 trans,engine is all stock except for true dual exhaust dumped before the axel. I did buy parts before I knew what I needed ,but at the same time I want to do it right and do it once,I am not doing anything else to the engine so I want something that will look good and run great,it will be my dail driver and I aslo don't want to use parts that may not help performance at all.

Your signature and avatar show someone elses LS powered 442.
Hard to answer when no one knows what car or engine this is in.

#2. RTFM > http://www.streetsideauto.com/images...keManifold.pdf

Sounds like you bought what you wanted before you even knew, so just put it in.
It's not going to blow up or anything, it will be fine. Your gasket question is answered in the manual.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:14 AM

Just an FYI on Forum Etiquette

When you quote someone, and you want to respond to a specific section , make sure there is the quote "end code" which is [/quote] after what you're quoting. Otherwise your answer is mixed up in the original quote and most people aren't going to notice it.

well the car is a 1970 cutlass supreme holiday coupe,350 engine with 5a heads and 350 trans,engine is all stock except for true dual exhaust dumped before the axel. I did buy parts before I knew what I needed ,but at the same time I want to do it right and do it once,
That's contradicting yourself.
If you want to do it once, and do it right, you don't go buying parts you don't understand.
Follow ??
I am not doing anything else to the engine so I want something that will look good and run great,it will be my dail driver and I aslo don't want to use parts that may not help performance at all.
Where you should strongly consider putting money in is the heads. http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofhed.htm
You SHOULD have the casting # 403859 on your heads. Look and see, these are mine, so you can see where it's at.
Right between the #3 and #5 spark plug up a little by that bolt , you'll see 403 then the bolt then 859
OldsEngineRockers.jpg
The heads on most olds motors sucked. Even with work they still aren't that efficient by todays standards of HP making cars.
That's where you're going to make the biggest efficiency and power gains over anything else.
It's too bad AFR (Air Flow Research) doesn't have a big enough market for Olds heads......

Sure, people will tell you that you can get xxx hp out of them. But how efficiently is the question.
ESPECIALLY if it's a pro-touring car or just a daily driver street car. You want efficient power.
If it's a drag car, no one cares about MPG , so it doesn't matter.......

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 12th, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:17 AM

God damn it!!, why do we have to go back and forth? I like the way the rpm intake looks alot better than the performer,but at the same time I dont want to put something on the engine that will not do any good or hinder performance so... God Damn it, All I want is a straight forward answer kids!! what should I do? 600cfm carb and rpm intake or performer intake!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
I thought I did?? Performer and your 600 or better yet a 670 or even better yet a Q-jet. My 355 with more cam, gear, converter and Cr ran a best ET shifting at 4600, you will not ever need to see 5 grand with the car as it is. A dual quad would look really cool and run like crap. A lumpy cam will sound really cool and run like crap. See where this is going?

Nobody is going to tell you what to do, but will give their advice and share experiences if you ask them to.
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM

my 1972 stock 350 with a edelbrock 2111 (no egr)/holley street avanger 670cfm runs great! I also have headers and true dual flow master 40's. Real performance gains , not really. But once you find enuff ($ ka ching $) to do the other things that really gain you performance you shouldnt have to rebuy parts!