HEI Questions...

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM

HEI Questions...

Hello all! Spring is here and I want to get the old girl running better (72 Cutlass S), so I thought an HEI distributor would be great. However, I’m having trouble finding a good source for one. My questions are: Which HEI distributor should I use with the 350, Holly four barrel (I’m not looking for drag racing, just street driving—with a little ‘playing’ here and there)? Where can I get said distributor? Finally, what’s the cost? Thanks again for your time!
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

All Olds distributors for the 1964-1990 motors interchange. I usually just get a used factory unit and install a new module and tuneup parts. Unfortunately it seems that the price of the parts has gone up to where it is more cost effective to just get a complete new Chinesium unit from ebay. Others on this forum have had success with those units. Be aware that if you go used, be sure to get an HEI with a vacuum advance can. Units without the vacuum advance will only work with the CCC system used on the 307 motors.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM

I have had great success with the Pertronix Flamethrower units, around $225 IIRC. Not the cheapest, but like Joe alluded to, you get what you pay for. Or, just buy a stock Delco, NAPA, or other quality unit from a reputable manufacturer.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hangin' out...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All Olds distributors for the 1964-1990 motors interchange. I usually just get a used factory unit and install a new module and tuneup parts. Unfortunately it seems that the price of the parts has gone up to where it is more cost effective to just get a complete new Chinesium unit from ebay. Others on this forum have had success with those units. Be aware that if you go used, be sure to get an HEI with a vacuum advance can. Units without the vacuum advance will only work with the CCC system used on the 307 motors.
Completely agree. I would check the salvage yards for a pre CCC distributor (Up to 1979 and maybe 1980, I think?). You should be able to get a decent one and freshen it up. When purchasing a used unit, make sure it spins freely and check to make sure that lateral play is at a minimum.

If you are lucky enough to have much of a selection of older cars, try and pull one from a wrecked car rather than one that's died of an uncertain death. That's easier said than done, but worth it!

This influx of cheap offshore parts is really starting to bug me. The more people buy them, the more they will make them. Besides, if we can find stuff in the salvage yards, we're recycling. So the next time some mook in a hybrid or minivan gives you a hard time at the gas station, tell him/her that you car has recycled parts in it! Not to mention, your carbon footprint has been spread out over a much longer period of time!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Thanks for all the great advice!

I purchased a Pertronix yesterday, as I don't have access to any yards that are close any more. The one large yard closed up shop when metal prices went high and they crushed everything. I can't imagine the cars that went to a wrongful grave!!
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think you will be happy with the Pertronix unit. If I were buying one today, that is what I would buy. You will probably not notice any additional power but it sure will start quicker and your plugs will last longer. I have one in my boat and I put three of them in my friends cars. Now I will mention regapping your plugs and that will probably bring several reponses. I am going to say gap them at about 45 thousanths. Did you get a high output coil? I highly recommend it and maybe new wires if yours are not in good shape. This is a good upgrade to your engine.
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Smile H.E.I., What would be a good year for my '72?

Last edited by blueRAYwhale; March 31st, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: "Lack of interest"
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM

Go on ebay and search "oldsmobile h.e.i." i scored a brand new one for like $80!! It had a billet shaft, vacuum advance, and it's like night & day over points. Dropped it right in and no problems since!! Love it!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM

Sorry, i am mistaken....search "oldsmobile hei"
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM

I have a Rertronix kit in my original points distributor. It looks stock and is smaller than the HEI. It starts and runs well and was about $100 with thier coil.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:35 AM

Smile "We're going to need a bigger boat"

Originally Posted by olds425
I have a Rertronix kit in my original points distributor. It looks stock and is smaller than the HEI. It starts and runs well and was about $100 with thier coil.
Dude, that's a big fish. Is that a trout or a salmon? I saw some guy catch a big brown trout that looked like that out of a lake in California called Caples, its in Alpine county, I think.
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:44 AM

You made my day! It is a 10 pound steelhead, biggest I have ever caught. I caught it on the Snake river below Hell's canyon dam. A steelhead is a rainbow trout that has been to the ocean and back, in case you didn't know. He was a fighter and even saw some Rocky Mt goats that day.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Still like my Mallory better and can't wait to use my MSD unit.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Smile "Jaws 1975, or how do I get to Idaho?"

Originally Posted by olds425
You made my day! It is a 10 pound steelhead, biggest I have ever caught. I caught it on the Snake river below Hell's canyon dam. A steelhead is a rainbow trout that has been to the ocean and back, in case you didn't know. He was a fighter and even saw some Rocky Mt goats that day.
Happy to have the the fish info. I recently asked ClassicOlds.com to cancel my membership and delete all my posts. I'll leave my email here if you want to PM me, perinns@yahoo.com, I'll delete in a few days. Bye, and good fishing.

Last edited by blueRAYwhale; April 5th, 2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: "remove/add stuff"
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM

i am running the Summit replacement HEI, all new parts, drop it in and roll. If your are interested I have my old Olds HEI with an Accel cap and rotor and a newer module. I'll let it go for $30.00 + UPS. Dont forget to use a full 12volt source to power it and re gap your plugs at .40.
You will love the HEI!!!
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM

1964f-85,
If etohboy doesn't want it, I'll take it. Just the ticket for Frankenstein.