headers or exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2007 | 01:37 PM

headers or exhaust manifold

I am looking for advice and input to continue to upgrade my ride.I see alot of cats on this board with headers and some with mani's. Whats the best pros vs.cons....I am looking to go with cross pipe and flows or dynamax mufflers. I was thinking 2.5 pipes..I dont plan on taking this thing to the track, but If I catch a mustang at the light slippin I want it to be on!!!
Old October 20th, 2007 | 10:29 PM

i would say go with headers

they are free'er flowing, more power depending on weather you get short tube or long tube headers

and it improves the sound of your exhaust

the list probably goes on and on but manifolds in my opinion are more for originality
Old October 21st, 2007 | 12:35 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm a manifold guy
1. Because they always fit right.
2. They don't leak as much

If I'm racing, I'll use headers.
If I'm driving often, I'll use Manis.
Old October 21st, 2007 | 06:10 AM

I hate headers. Hate them. But, IMO, SBO manifolds are terrible. What kind of car do you have? I have Sanderson shorty headers, 1 5/8" primaries, great fit, thick flange, easy starter and filter access. A nice compromise between long tube headers and manifolds. Also, supposedly Thornton is going to do a SBO reproduction manifold first of the year that has individualized runners, an improvement over the stockers.
Old October 21st, 2007 | 06:41 AM
Past Administrator

And then there are the not so ubiquitous, always reverred W/Z manifolds. If you can afford them......
Old October 21st, 2007 | 07:52 AM

I have heard that you can prevent header gasket leaks by carrying a wrench with you after putting the headers on and tightening the header bolts after every time you drive the car. At least for the first few weeks after installing them.

My buddy had headers on an 81 Camaro with a SBC and he was ALWAYS changing header gaskets. Even if he bought the high quality copper gaskets. I don't have any personal experience with headers; however, I know that cars with an exhaust leak sound horrible.
Old October 21st, 2007 | 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
And then there are the not so ubiquitous, always reverred W/Z manifolds. If you can afford them......
post some pics and explain why they are so good
Old October 22nd, 2007 | 05:55 AM
Past Administrator

I didn't say they were good, just reverred. Personally, I would go with headers. There is almost always a set for sale on ebay and they usually have pictures. I guess the "originality police" love 'em.
Old October 25th, 2007 | 09:20 AM

will the W/Z manifolds fit on my car
Old October 25th, 2007 | 11:57 AM
Past Administrator

They probably would. the exhaust port geometry is the same on all modern Olds V8s except that the actual ports are bigger on a big block so the opening in the manifolds may be larger too, the bolt pattern is identical. Here is an example of a set on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/oldsm...QQcmdZViewItem
Old October 25th, 2007 | 12:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shaks 442 clone
post some pics and explain why they are so good
The W/Z manifolds are better than other manifolds because they have individual runners cast inside. Most exhaust manifolds have just one big open cavity.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Originally Posted by GothamCity
will the W/Z manifolds fit on my car
They probably would. the exhaust port geometry is the same on all modern Olds V8s except that the actual ports are bigger on a big block so the opening in the manifolds may be larger too, the bolt pattern is identical.
While they will physically bolt to a small block head, W/Z manifolds WILL NOT fit on a small block as installed in the car. They are considerably larger than SBO manifolds and will hit motor mounts, oil filter adapter, starter, etc on a small block.
Old October 25th, 2007 | 06:10 PM

headers are so much better in every aspect. HOWEVER the quality of the header is the problem. The flanges need to be thick,of good quality steel/iron. The welding of the tubes to the flanges needs to not intrude into the gasket sealing surface- a big problem. If headers were made by the person using them they would be the cat's ***. However they're made by robots or worse. Quality control is a joke-ie made in china. Then there is the longevity concern. Manifolds last forever. headers last for 5 years,maybe 10 if car stored inside.Modified engine = headers. Stock engine or 1 with some improvements=manifolds. Manifolds with 2 1/2 exhaust with good mufflers flow just fine for many applications. Hope this helps.