headers for 72 cutlass supreme

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2004, 03:05 PM

i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i could find headers to fit a 72 cutlass supreme. i have tried hooker and hedman headers and found that they only make headers for the 442 and cutlass "s" model, not for the supreme.
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Past Administrator

I don't think there is a difference, they are just advertising to the "performance" image. I put Hedman headers on my '71 Cutlass S over twenty years ago. It had a 350/350 combo. I think if you call a representative and push them for specifics you will find that their headers will fit.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM

I have hooker headers on my 72 cutlass convertible and they fit just fine although they do heat up the starter solenoid. I'd get a heat wrap for the headers.
Old July 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Use a heat wrap for the starter instead. Heat wrap for the headers is a pain in the @ss to install and causes the headers to rust out quicker.

Also, any Cutlass headers will fit. There's some bilge that's been floating around forever about "offset engines" and such. Forget it. Just order them and they WILL it.

BTW, I don't know anybody that has a lot of header/starter clearance...no matter what brand. If anybody has tons o'clearance, PLEASE share!

[ July 01, 2004: Message edited by: texasred ]</p>
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:27 PM

thanks for the help! i have the hooker competition headers and im going to try to install them. any suggestions on getting the manifolds off without snapping the bolts off, or getting the headers installed would be greatly appreciatted.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Past Administrator

Soak the manifold bolts with PB Blaster every day for a week before you do the job, you will have a better chance of getting them off without snapping them. As for header bolts, you can never do poorly with good quality bolts like those provided by ARP. I think some manufactureres also produce bolts with hex heads for those tight clearance areas like the ones in between the middle cylinders. The bigger the primary pipes are the tighter the fit will be.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:28 PM

The only offset engines I've seen are the ones sitting next to the car.. Heat wrap the starter cuz I've rusted 2 sets out wrapping the header.